What do you consider respect in a relationship?

I just ended my relationship with my SO because I feel like he did not respect me or our relationship. His children came to visit him which I had no problem with him spending time with his kids but He was gone for almost a week and I heard nothing from him. I feel he didn't even give our relationship the courtesy to call me and say hey I'm not coming home I'll be back (insert date) he just left one morning and I heard nothing else from him. He was also still talking to an Ex girlfriend of his who still wanted him back and I asked him not to speak with her anymore so we could work out our relationship but he continued to talk with her which I feel was another disrespect to our relationship so I got tired of it all and had enough especially since I was completely committed and loyal to him. Was I wrong or would you consider this disrespect?

There were levels of disrespect all through the relationship where when I brought them up he made me feel like I was in the wrong. But this was what made me finally end things. I wish I did it sooner though. Falling in love with potential is not the way to go. I definitely learned when someone shows you who they really are... BELIEVE IT!
I definitely had respect for him. He told me to not have male friends so I cut off ties with my male friends and did all I thought I could to make the relationship good but it wasn't enough I guess and it wasn't the first time he disrespected our relationship like that. I just finally had enough cause I deserve more. I'm old school and I believe in trust loyalty respect and commitment which were all the things I gave to the relationship.

96

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you did the right thing, you asked for him to do what you felt you needed and he didn't.

Talking to an ex along isn't a directly problem but the fact you made it clear you didn't like it. Shows the disrespect more than anything on this.

Overall respect is about making a person feel equal and valued. That can mean different things to people, but in this situation it's clear his ex and his independence is more important than what you want.

Most Helpful Girl

• You are not wrong and yes, those things were very disrespectful. Glad you got out of that because it probably wouldn't change. Probably pretty disappointing and makes him unattractive I imagine too.

• Yes it did make him very unattractive. I thought he was a caring person but he sure proved me wrong over the years. I'm glad I finally let go.

• Yep! I know what you mean. Hang in there. :)

• Thanks for the MHO!

Sponsored

What Guys Said 5

• No ma'am your not wrong in your walking away from this. Your claim to him not showing you or the relationship is very well placed and spot on.

• You were probably rift

• If a guy truly wants to be with a woman and loves her he will not disrespect her over for no reason sounds to me like he just wanted you for some Sugar Walls

• if we have respect to eachother

• Yea I definitely had respect for him. He told me to not have male friends so I cut off ties with my male friends and did all I thought I could to make the relationship good but it wasn't enough I guess and it wasn't the first time he disrespected our relationship like that. I just finally had enough cause I deserve more. I'm old school and I believe in trust loyalty respect and commitment which were all the things I gave to the relationship.

• Good decision to ghost him.

What Girls Said 8

• Definitely disrespect. When you're in a relationship you are no long just one. How can u gain trust in a relationship when they don't tell you where they are especially for that long. And they should NOT be talking to their ex's. Ex's are the past and should stay in the past, not the present or future.

• I think he wasn't showing respect and I would have also ended that relationship. It must hurt because you loved him. But wounds heal, and when you know you did the right thing, they heal faster.

• What he did was extremely disrespectful. You were well within your rights to leave. And in my opinion, you did what was best for you.

• That's complete disrespect. Sounds like a player to me

• That's 2 things cheating and disrespect!! Do you honestly believe he didn't cheat on you when he was missing that one week?

• Oh I didn't say he wasn't... I'm pretty sure he connected with his Ex because he was in the same town as her. I'm just saying all around I was disrespected and had to End things

• If I was you boy friend I would respect you

• I would have done the same in your shoes.

• You definitely did the right thing