My ex can't keep the dog she got while we were together. Should I feel guilty? What should I do?

So my now ex-gf got a puppy while we were together. I already had one, she loved him so much she wanted her own. We had talked about it briefly but one day she went and got one even after I told her not to. Cut to now, about 6 months later and we are breaking up and she is moving out... She moved in with her dad, who will not let her keep the dog while she is staying there.

At first I agreed to watch the dog for her, but I feel like I am still responsible for her even after the breakup, plus another dog is a lot, especially another puppy. She is quite a handful, and while I do love her, my older brother has offered to take the dog. My ex said she is fine with that since it is a good home, but I can't help but feel guilty for giving away her dog. I would like my ex to have her, but in her current situation it would be 6 months to a year before she would be able to take her, by that time the dog would be basically mine.

I feel like in order for me to move on, I need her completely out of my life, including this puppy. My brother has an older dog, and I would still see her when I go there, my dog would still be able to hang out with her, just not living together. At the same time, if I get rid of this dog I feel like there is no chance we will get back together in the future, which I'm pretty sure I don't want, but it is scary. She says she wouldn't hold it against me, but I just care about her and this dog too much I guess.

What do you think I should do. Give the dog to my brother, keep her for myself, or watch her until my ex can get her own place? I still love my ex, and I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to be attached to her still...

11
Sponsored

What Girls Said 1

• Give the dog to your brother and tell her she can get it from there when she's ready. Handling two dogs is hard, if you don't feel like you're up for the job simply don't do it.

What Guys Said 1