Can you be friends with an ex you dated for 4 years? Or are feelings still there always?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that would be a good idea. It's complicated because you would try to make a lots of effort to make that friendship work... but unfortunately soon or later he'll decide to move on and that will hurt you a lot..
    Its senseless, risky and sign of insecurity to still want ex in life. you don't need ex as a friend... all you need is some sense into you.

Good luck...

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't want to be friends with any ex regardless of how I felt about them. To me it stays icky and out of respect for my boyfriend I choose to avoid them. I have no need to hang out with ex's outside a group setting anyway.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 4

• It depends on the reason for the break up if I could stay civil toward them but I have a feeling I would always think of the past and have a hard time with any type of future relationship with them

• of course

• I don't care how long we dated. Exes are exes for a reason. There's no feelings there.

• Yes you can.. depends, tho 99% after 4 years there are no more feelings

What Girls Said 10

• I don't believe feelings are always there. Once I accept a relationship is over my feelings fade... until they have gone completely.

I'd never stay in contact with an ex. It just complicates future relationships , and brings about too much drama into your life. I'd never put a new SO in such an uncomfortable position. I'd view it as disrespectful towards him. He'd be my priority , not an ex. My ex would have no place in my life or future

• No. Regardless if it was 4 years or 10 years, regardless of the history I have with them, I would never get back with an ex. It sounds complicated and time spent on something that is totally worthless of my time. I can befriend people but not an ex.

• Some people can do it. Others absolutely can NOT. Each person knows what they're feeling, and it's up to them to be mature and strong enough to back out before someone gets hurt.

• I wouldn't want to b friends with an ex, but I guess its possible if both people want a friendship...

• Feelings leave. You can be friends.

• I couldn't. Feelings will always be there for me. Well maybe I could try, but I'd always think back to when we were in a relationship and that would interfere in the friendship

• An ex is an ex for a reason.

• I think thats a question you truly need to ask your inner self.

• Props to people who are able to make it happen. Can't be too easy.

• I couldn't and I wouldn't. Some people can do it though, it takes a lot of time and effort though. Some may have flashbacks of when they were in a relationship with there ex and maybe they wouldn't want to try to be friends.