What would you do if you broke up with your SO and they threatened to commit suicide if you don't get back together with them?

Just curious. Someone I know is in this kind of situation right now.

1916

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a tough call. On the one hand, that's extremely manipulative and I can't stand that. But on the other hand... I'm an extremely compassionate person, so emotional manipulation usually works on me!

I'm thinking I would block them, but call their parents to let them know what they said. Then at least someone will have an eye on them.

What Guys Said 15

• Ignore the person; if she wanted to kill herself, she would done it already. I do not negotiate with terrorists!

• "Sorry, but I'm not going back. You can commit suicide OR you can keep on living, take your time to move on like me and try to find someone more compatible"

• I'd just tell her that blackmailing doesn't fix a relationship but only makes it worse and warn her parents and friends that she might be suicidal

• I'd call the suicide prevention hotline on them. The amount of trouble that would get her into ought to teach her a lesson.

• This happened to me. I called her mom and her best friend immediately after leaving. She wasn't serious.

• You can't acquiesce emotional manipulation. No matter how likely the threat is to be true.

• Prepare to collect life insurance.

• Suggest them to get some mental help.

• I would tell them they are insane and not to talk to me anymore.

If I couldn't be held legally liable, I would tell them to do it then, because they won't. People who want to kill themselves don't flaunt it around and use it as a weapon.

• give them the tools to do so

• ill call their mother or their father to say there's something up with their daughter.

• Don't date them, it may sound cruel but you shouldn't be emotionally blackmailed to do anything you don't want to.

• I would suggest that they go to a therapist and then stop talking to them.

• He/she can feel free to commit suicide

• I'd ask them what kind of flowers they wanted at their funeral.

What Girls Said 18

• they're only doing it for attention, so block them, give them space and let them deal with their demons. it sucks... and its hard... but its the best solution.

• I would call the police most likely this is a way of manipulating someone and I don't tolerate it what so ever. I don't understand why someone would go through such trouble to try to "make" someone be with them when they don't want to it's just an insult really.

• Call the police since they claim they're in danger of harming themselves and then block them EVERYWHERE. I wouldn't go back to a relationship where someone wants to emotionally abuse me.

• i would try to reason with them or recommend they see someone. id maybe try set him up with someone i know to show him there are plenty of options and the world isn't over.

• It is absolutely not their responsibility for the other person, using suicide as a threat is low. Help them get the treatment/therapy they might need and let others know of that situation. You should never feel pressured to be with a person because of their mental health, thats controlling of them in a sense

• talk to their family

• happened with a friend of mine. they took them to get help.

• Like some of the opinions posted already if that person was gonna commit suicide they would have done it already. But I'd still take precautions and call the cops and his loved ones

• Let them.. We're all adults and know what's best of us.. I refuse to stay with someone out of guilt or intimidation. I also refuse to be with someone dumb enough to not know how valuable life is.

• realize tht my decision to break up with him was a good one

• This has happened to me before, it did scare me to death cause i thought , oh fuck its all my fault but i ended up just telling his close friend whats up and from then on just ignored it all.

• Ugh I've heard of this shit. I used to have gal pals that had bfs like this and it was just the dumbest thing ever.

• That's emotional abuse so I would continue to stay away.

• No, absolutely not!

• I'd talk to his family and let them know he needs professional help.

• They don't mean that, they are only doing that to get the person to come back.

• Id call his friends and family and tell them i was breaking up with him and that he wants to commit suicide so they need to get him help.

• Call the cops and tell them he/she is a threat to themselves.