Was contacting my ex a mistake?

I was at work today, and was totally thrown off when I ran into one of my exes from high school. He came through my register, and he seemed to recognize me, but didn't say anything regarding it. After he left I began feeling tempted to reach out to him. We went our separate ways on bad terms. He tried to contact me a few years back, but I was rather rude, because I was still upset by how he had broken up with me. Today I made the decision to send him a message on Instagram, asking him if he recognized me and telling him that I hoped all was well. He has yet to respond and I'm starting to worry. Was messaging him a mistake? We dated when I was 15 and he was maybe 14. I'm now 19. Help? How long should I give him to respond before I should just accept that he's not interested in talking.

12

What Guys Said 2

• Yes contacting him was a mistake. I'm not sure what you wanted or expected to come of messaging someone after 4 years of not speaking. I would delete it and not give you a second thought as I wouldn't see the need to talk to an ex just to bullshit with an ex. I would just forget about it.

• wait a week at least

What Girls Said 1

• I would already have forgot about sending the message to him. I mean, maybe he hasn't seen it maybe he is waiting to reply later. Maybe maybe maybe. Why worry? It is nothing you can change. :) I say, don't wait, just do what you usually do and get surprised if he answers/ forget it if he don't.