How long should a break in a relationship last?

my "ex" boyfriend and I decided to take a break in our relationship just over 4 weeks ago. and he is/was my first. so I don't really know what to do or expect

Most Helpful Guy

• "Breaks" almost always end in a break-up. People would be better off to just break-up and get it over with immediately.

• that makes sense. and it seems like that's actually what happened with him. we will most likely not get back together.
      however, he and I are still friends.

• It's ok, you were only in doubt for 4 weeks. You two parted on friendly terms and you learned a valuable lesson.

• that is true.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• Well, taking a break during the relationship is generally not a good sign, taking a break in a relationship means there is a 50% chance of a break up already and that percentage will further increase if the break was taken during the time when things were at the worst.

Hence taking a break will most certainly lead to a break up, it's only a different and a smoother way of breaking up with their partners instead of abruptly ending the relationship.

However one can choose to abruptly end the relationship also, which is also a choice.

• A decade

• Breaks never work. It just drags things out before you break up.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't believe in taking breaks in a relationship. You either sort your shit out together or you decide it's not working and end it.

• Have you spoken at all?

• we talk literally every day. but it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere

• I think he's holdong all the cards. he wants his space but also wants to know you still want him and haven't moved on. If you want to be more than friends, stop connecting with him altogether. Its legit a way for him to be forced to think about the two of you and miss you and what good times you had. If you happen to start moving on with your life thats a good thing too.

• Okay. and we were/are in a long distance relationship. so the only way we can communicate is by texting. but I can't text him for a few days

• Let his sorry ass go and move on