Should jail for failure to pay alimony/child support be abolished?

I support the right of the court to seize a person's property for failure to pay those things, but to put somebody in jail, have we not already abolished debtor's prisons.

• Yes
  • No

39

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have a legal obligation to make payments and you're choosing not to then you should be jailed.

Those payments aren't arbitrary numbers. They're based on income and the payments are paused if you lose your job or experience unforeseen financial hardship like a severe illness or your house burns down.

• And yet people still go to jail for not paying it. I have trouble believing that anyone would rather be behind bars than pay alimony, so I suspect if adjustments are made it is not a full proof system.

• If they forget to report changes in their life to the court's satisfaction, then they will quickly be burdened with payments they can't make and that is a situation which may not be able to change in months or even years.

• I don't think it's an undue burden for an adult who was able to either get married, have a child, or a combination of the two to make a phone call or fill out a form.

Most Helpful Guy

• For Alimony yes, I don't get why an adult can get Alimony for years on end.
    For child support maybe save jail for the most serious offenders. Give them an option to work off the debt. Housing them in prison just seems counter productive. It's costing us more money on top of what the state is burdened with.

This form of debt is different in the sense that the public is bearing this financial burden for the person till the kid is 18. Multiply that by 2,3, 4 kids, how is that fair to the child, how is that fair to the public?

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 2

• Nope, not at all. Though I do think there should circumstances that are more jail worthy. For instance, if your back child support is caused by job loss or have a severe medical condition like cancer or something you have to pay to get treated, then you shouldn't be thrown in jail, but put on maybe some type of deferment or payment plan or something. But if you're behind just for the hell of it or you don't pay or you're trying to run, you should face jail time because it's illegal

But, honestly, most men or women aren't going to force their ex who are paying child support who have something horrible happen to them like job loss, illness, or a death in the family to pay up if there's financial issues with them because they're decent people.

• Nope. You have a child, you take care of it.
    You can always sell your own things - and pay for it, why should the state have to do that for you?

• And if nobody will buy them?

• Your landlord might have children to feed. And besides, the fact is, a debt is a debt.

• You can move out - but a contract is still binding and you will have to pay either way...
      But a living thing that you created - should be put first. Or get a vasectomy...

What Guys Said 8

• Actually yes... I have heard about both me and women going to jail for that..

And it's actually very wrong.. cause it's not really a crime...

Some people who receive this almony mostly women even hide the fact that they have received the money... no body puts women like that in jail? It's always the men who suffer...

So yes it should be completely abolished

• It might as well be. Hell if I owed money I'd use the system against the system and just take the jail time, even if it's for life. Not only make them pay for my kid for me but also my 3 hots and a cot as well. They should just require $100k in the bank to be allowed to reproduce (same as they require about $60k in the bank in case you don't want car insurance premiums) and otherwise make birth control and abortions mandatory and child support (along with programs like WIC) would be unnecessary.

• You make a good point. I say yes.

• They should jail women for paternity fraud too then.

• No. But at the same time a father should have the right to not consent to be a father. In other words a woman has the choice of contraceptions which make accidental pregnancy impossible and abortions. As its a women's right to choose a father in the intrest of equality should have the right to choose to be a father.
    A father that consented to be a father should be thrown in jail for non-payment of child support.

• Yes because when they are in jail, they have no way to ever pay then.

• Children NEED that child support.

• nahh theyre fine