Why are so many people against marriage?

like everyone says it's unnecessary and a waste of time because most couples will get a divorce anyway?

1025

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't k ow how women feel about it but for a lot of men marriage does not really favor the male, especially in a divorce. I don't feel it's right that a man or female works their entire life to save for retirement, then to have it cut in half because of a divorce. To many of us men, especially the younger boys see their fathers, uncles, brothers, male role models go through a divorce, realizing what they don't want to end up in. I don't think a lot of women these days really get married cause they're really in love, they like the idea of a big party because their best friend got married or some other friend. Marriage is a financial contract. It's just a legal contract. I wish this legal contract would include that the man should get sex at least 2-3 times a week or other sexual things. Not worth it in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Most people who think this have never witnessed a healthy marriage and are probably not from a two parent home, at least, not a good one. My parents have been married over 30 years and while they annoy the PISS out of me bugging me all the time, I can see they love one another and would do anything for each other. Plus the tax breaks you get lol, and it's a sign that you'll never leave that person.

That's why people are against it. They don't know what a good marriage looks like and they want an easy escape route.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 24

• I don't know how it is in Australia, but marriages have their benefits and down turns. Financially they strengthen both parties involved, job or not. When it comes to divorce both parties usually lose something, and it's usually not fair and leaves no one happy. Marriage is not a purely human ideal but it's a human ceremony and living together every day of every month of every year is very grueling.

Not to mention marriage has a very religious aspect, and some are objective to that.

• well a lot of people still get married eventhough they're not religous that is not even an argument anymore

• yes of course but that's a different issue here

• Well then there they don't like commitment.

• Thats basically why though in a number of countries you can also be married in the eyes of the state if you live with them long enough so marriage without a prenup could save an expensive divorce and you have different citizenship you may have to to so they can stay in the country.

• well with the way women treat guys like crap, and how girls lack or have no ability to love, and stay faithful to a guy. why would any guy consider marrying.

• I am personally against since girls in general aren't interested in me. I never had as much as a kiss. And even if one day some girl would actually like me and want to marry me, it would be a bad idea since I have no choice and can get stuck with somebody who is gonna ruin my life. But these are my oersonal reasons I don't know for others

• why are you so sure that your life will be ruined?

• you're only 19 you have your whole life ahead of you

• I know Im only 19, Im not saying Im getting married now, I am talking about the future

• "everyone says it's unnecessary and a waste of time because most couples will get a divorce anyway? "
    That I guess?

• Have no idea. I want to be married one day.

• I'm not going to get married with my girlfriend but we're still going to stay together for a long time (possibly forever since our relationship's been perfectly fine and supportive for some time). I don't have anything to gain from it tbh. 70% of all divorces are initiated by women. More than 40% of marriages end in divorce. And the 97% of them end with the woman having won alimony and child support. Inb4 butthurt golddiggers incoming.

• Not at all against it
    Ain't sure if I'll marry but if I'll then I ain't gonna give her divorce and do anything to save our marriage 💁

• because they dont feel the need to invite such an institution into their lives.

• I wouldn't say it's a "waste of time", marriage still even today has plenty of meaning and it's a symbol for something great. But obviously marriage has gone down hill... kind of.

• Well, because most marriages end in divorce. And men get screwed in divorces.
    If I was going to have kids I'd get married, but otherwise not likely.

• Marriages are very very very expensive, even more expensive when they fail. Also no one needs to get married, you can love one another without being the bloody law into it. Also marriages are outdated and just not needed.

• It's unnecessary because there is no need not because of divorce. Marriage is a social contract which love doesn't need. Now it can be useful for raising children though.

• May be they didn't have a proper marriage or had a troubled past (parents getting divorced, or friends or family members been through) or over assumptions...

• Probably cause of all the divorce rates.

• I think it's awesome if anyone gets married, it's a neat thing to do.
    I'm against it for myself though since I'm nowhere near settling down

• Men have nothing to gain from marriage. Women have nothing to lose.

• Because it's got nothing to do with love, commitment or anything else. At best, it's just a waste of money on a day to massage the woman's ego and make her feel more important than she is. At worst, it's a tool to steal all the man's money.

• wow what

• WASTE OF MONEY? go to city hall then

• @Afrochick the average cost of a wedding in america is over $16,000. if you don't think that's a waste of money, i'm glad i'm not your accountant.

• With the way women are, I don't blame men. Having casual encounters seems much better

• I also can't understand. I cherish marriage.

Also, would you like to help me on my question?

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2125027-this-married-young-lady-told-me-i-am-attractive-would-date-me-if

• because 50% of them wind up in divorce, and some don't sign prenups

• Many men are against marriage to show they're not gay.

• Bc divorce is usually biased against men.

• I'm against marriage to the wrong person; that is a living hell. Being married to the right person can be a truly wonderful and rewarding experience.

What Girls Said 9

• because marriage for the most part is considered a religious tradition and many people today aren't religious so it becomes pointless. Another point which I can understand it isn't like you will love your partner more if you are married. That stays the same. You can live in common-law for no money and call each other husband and wife.

• religious tradition? this not the case anymore and a lot of atheists get married and also gay people can get married by now where is the religious meaning?

• you know exactly what my point here is, being gay is totally against religion and that's it tho

• actually it really isn't. If you read the bible it barely mentions being gay but it mentions how horrible judging is over and over and over... it didn't even make it into the top 10 sins...

• Im not against marriage but my goal in life is not to get married. If i find the right one I will marry him, but I never saw marriage as a big deal, probably because i have never been in a long term relationship and i have never lived with a SO. I think women who do that expect marriage in return for that which makes no sense to me at all

• Marriage is considered a traditional practice, and we are headed towards an age of gender equality. Men feel that they don't have anything to gain from marriage anymore so they don't bother with it.

• Do what u want guys geez

• I take the opinions of men on GAG with a grain of salt.

• Take a look at the men on GaG. If men in the real world are anything like them, why the fuck would you ever want to get married?

• I'm not against it, it's just irrelevant to me. What is the actual point?

• Exactly as you said, waste of time and money. Not religious. High divorce rate. And to be fair if somethings good as is why change it

• I honestly only see that online, mostly this site. Nobody I've come across in real life says that shit.