Who gets over breakups faster, guys or gals?

Who do you think get over break ups faster girls or guys? If two people really had a great relationship and friendship before everything went sour do you think its more likely for them to reconcile. From my experience and from stories i've heard, it always seems to impact the guy more heavily at the start, but once he starts to get over it and recuperate the girl seems to suffer for it and regret what happened in the long run. Anyone else think this is true?

2819

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoever can accept it. Personally, once it's over for me and I accept it I'll move on quickly. I let go of all the "what if's" and "why's". It's all about acceptance really. If you accept the break up sooner, you'll get over it sooner. I don't care who is happier. I don't care who finds another person sooner. Once it's accepted I just live my life without regard to her or the past relationship.

That's part of the reason all of my exes have doubled back at one time or another. If for nothing more than to apologize or to check up on me. Because I'm content and they're dying to know how I'm "really" doing or who I'm with. I've even had exes suspect "he's not really happy without me. He's just pretending!". It's like... no. I'm good lol. Maybe if they came back a few months before, but it's always when I'm good with myself again they come back and another girl has entered the scene that they want to "just see how things are goin". Even if they have a new guy.

What Girls Said 27

• I have experienced both having trouble getting over and on with it... however keep in mind, women more in general like "closure" they like to talk and re-hash and see if there is "more to the story" ( well at least if they are the ones getting broken up with) guys on the other hand, may have emotions a bout it, but tend to put everything away easier at least on the outside... not saying men don't hurt, but I believe they tend to display anger, which in reality the anger is really stemming from them being hurt...

• id say that's about right
      but guys need closure just as much as women
      are closure is different from women closure

• @qwertyKitchen

no im giving examples of different things
      cause hse says she did nothing how do i know if thats true
      cause the guy she is talking about is staying away from her
      he is sick of her and mad at her

each situation is different and each person reacts different
      some people understand what there options are

most people don't men and women a like
      so when you say she did nothing then its hard to believe that
      you know women ALWAYS DO SOMETHING WRONG

• For me not being in contact with my ex was better closure for me instead of talking because I would be hurting if I would have talked to her. It wasn't to hurt her.

• I've found that girls are more likely to fall in love more quickly than guys, but guys tend to have a more difficult time when a serious relationship ends and don't bounce back as quickly

• Guys, way faster, too. It's like they're able to snip the relationship wire like the Three Fates and feel nothing.

• The one who the strongest... emotionally

• I would think it's the guy.

• I think guys act like it's NBD and then after a month start the moutning process while girls start mourning and are fine after a month or so.

• Don't look at the gender but the person

• Opinion owner. That's the smartest way to look at it !! Nice response. I agree 😊

• The guy usually doesn't care at first, then later it starts to haunt him, and vice versa for the girls. I read this somewhere, so lemme know if you think this is horribly wrong.

• I think girls dwell on things longer.

• study showed girls actually take the time to get over the person while guys don't try that.

• post-breakup feelings often work like the sex organs
    guys can just let it go and move one
    while the girls keep in it and wallow

• Girls, do. :)

• Guys duhh

• Whoever is more sensitive. :(

• Guys

• Guys seems to get over it quicker but I also think it it depends on who broke up with who

• Guys

• I believe that's true as well

• Girls definitely cuz when a guy is truly in love and loses it , man he can go crazy

• Definitely guys!

• Depends on who ended it

• I personally feel like girls take longer to emotionally get over a breakup but guys take longer to psychologically get over a break up (they hinder their heartbreak with meaningless sex).

• Me. If I want to I shut down emotion.

• tbh it depends in the person lmaooo

• at first girls may take it hard while boys are okay with it because they feel like they have some freedom for now on. but truthfully as a girl starts getting over the breakup boys become upset and start to realize what had happen so truthfully girls get over the breakup first.

• I think guys. Years later they'd still drop everything and anyone for that certain girl.

• Guys because they only want sex and its a well known fact that men dont fall in love

• Where did you get your facts from? 😂

• They certainly do! I think people confuse infatuation and crushes with being truly in love which has more to do with behaviour that feelings

• That is the most sexist thing I have read on this site, and that says a lot.

What Guys Said 18

• A guy has it within him to get over it very fast. He doesn't always choose to.

• It depends on the situation. It's usually the dumper who gets over it first because they are the one ending the relationship.

To generalize, most men invest more time and energy to acquire a SO; they usually are left wondering what went wrong when a girl trades up.

• Girls. They never truly felt anything for the guy anyway, and by the time the breakup comes they've already vine-swung to the next guy.

• They get over it at about the same rate.

With a girl, the breakup happens, they get mighty depressed for some months or so, then after that they slowly get better.

With a guy, the breakup happens, they slowly get worse until they finally spiral down into that depression.

• I'd say it's not so much the gender but more of the person who dumped the other person. It also depends on how much the person loved the other person towards the end.

• I don't know because in order to have a break up you first need to be with somebody and thats already impossible for me

• personally , I believe girls gets over break ups for faster than guys in long term... in starting it looks like guys get over easily and fastly but they suffer more in long term

• girls will get over a guy in a matter of hours, meanwhile a guy will never forget

from my experience and plenty of guys experiences

• I believe the one that finds a new partner moves on faster. Generally I think it takes about the same time for the both genders.

• As a guy i am sensitive so i cry when a girl breaks up * Shame*

• WHY ONLY TWO OF THE MANY GENDERS! TRIGGERED

• Girls. Girls usually start thinking about ending things months before boys even know what's going on.

• Whoever did the breaking gets over it faster, because they were already over it before breaking up.

• Defffinitely girls.

According to these answers though it's just whoever happens to be the opposite gender to the one the opinion comes from.

• Women. Seeing they usually are the ones who break up and tend to detach emotionally months before pulling the trigger.

• Kinda depends what you consider "getting over it." In my view, if you're talking about completely resolving feelings and moving on then guys take way longer. For most understandings of "getting over it" it's going to be guys that take longer.

• First, I think it totally depends on the circumstances, who broke up with who and so on... but let's say, when comparing a guy and a girl, both were in love and both were dumped and were in a four year committed relationship...(I think many factors would change the answer)
    I think girls would get over the break up faster. True reason I feel this way is because of what I have observed. with my friends, my sisters and myself. Women express themvles and will be really sad and express it and so it seems like they are taking it harder whereas guys bottle it up. Because they bottle it up, it lasts longer as they don't talk it out. I think in 1-2 year relationships my answer would flip flop

• Girls, I've seen guys weep and Stay sad over girls for long periods of time years and sometimes they never get over it, girls i have seen move on quickly going from relationship to relationship faster than I can breathe, girls are known as the emotional bonding sex but I don't know how, I have met more heartless women than I have men who have broken down crying.