I always lose him to drugs, will he regret it in the future?

I dated a guy 3 years ago. I left him because I was in college and wanted to focus. He got high all of the time, he had no life goals or motivation. He said he wanted to be a rapper but never tried. He came back 7 months later apologising for how he was and he's trying to get his life on track. I boosted his self confidence and helped him to believe in himself so that he could pursue being a rapper. It worked and he started trying. He thanked me every day, he wasn't high so often now, he wasn't doing so many drugs. But I was still angry how we ended last time and my bitterness showed through and we failed.

A year and a half later he came back, we had both been in long term relationships since. I had been with my best friend and was hurting, he had been with a girl who deals cocaine on street corners. He was depressed, he couldn't fall asleep without being high, he would smoke the second he woke up, he was high most of the day, he couldn't go on a night out without snorting coke, he was getting wasted every weekend, me influencing him years ago had made him pursue his dreams but he uses his shows as an excuse to get drunk and do drugs. He apologised for everything, that I was the best thing to happen to him, that he's sorry, because of me he's chasing dreams and he doesn't want to be high all the time.

For a couple of months it was perfect. Perfect chemistry, he didn't smoke any more, he was off of drugs, I didn't tell him to, I accepted that he did drugs but he felt happy being sober. Then he fell back into his friend group of people who got drunk all the time, trying all drugs, he was high constantly. He cut me off out of nowhere when it was going perfectly. He's now hanging out with a girl who gets drunk and does drugs all the time and has a bad reputation in town for sleeping with anybody.

The guy who wanted to change his life has gone again. He doesn't care again. Will he regret his actions and treating me bad one day?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, the coke is a sign he is seeking potency. He probably will end up chasing the really bad stuff.. heroin or meth.. and go down that dark road. Will he regret it? Probably deep inside. It could be the one of many things he has stacked up in his mind that fuels his self destruction.

Good thing he didn't become a rapper. His odds of ever making a penny doing that are about equal as winning millions of dollars in a lottery.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 5

• He's never going to change for you, they never do and there are much better guys out there for you. You're just so strongly attached to him because you were so young when you met him.

• Getting into a relationship with the goal of fixing them is a road to failure. He's regretted it since day one. That doesn't mean he's going to stop.

• This guy is toxic and a loser of major proportions.
    If you have him in your life, he will drag you down into the sewer in which he dwells.
    I would encourage you to have more respect for yourself than to be involved with such a person.

• Bit of a sad story. I honestly don't know what will become of him. It's quite possible he could end up dying after a couple more attempts to go straight and relapsing.
    It is also possible be may one day accept the folly of his ways and turn it around once and for all.
    However, it's also possible he could commit suicide out of despair upon that realization.
    It's up to him.

• If you don't take him back, then yes he will regret being an ass to you. When everyone abandons him & you don't save him, then yes he will regret being a dick to you.

What Girls Said 1

• He'll never care about anyone but himself while he taking drugs. He'll only change If he gets the professional help he needs. He'll only have regrets if he fully recovers and changes his life around

His mind will be too messed up right now to be concerned about regrets. He doesn't even care about his own well-being.. let alone anyone's else's