If an ex contacts you to "apologize"?

My ex and I were together for 5 years. He became a drug addict and cheated on me. He did a lot of terrible things to me. When we split up he wouldn't leave me alone. For the past 5 months I hadn't heard anything from him.. then out of the blue he texted me... to say he's sorry and to be nice. I made it clear that I don't want to have contact with him. He said he just wants to be nice and if I want to talk or need anything I should contact him. Why? I feel like he's just using this as an excuse to talk to me so he can try to get back in my life. Am I wrong?

25

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok it actually depends... some drug treatment programs will suggest that you seek forgiveness from those you have wronged/hurt.. This could be part of that however this does not sound like a person you would want back in your life beyond accepting the apology

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe he's going through some kind of 12 step program for addicts in which one of the steps is to apologize to those you've hurt. Or just realizing he needed to apologize for treating you poorly. Accept it and move on in your life.

What Guys Said 4

• No, I think you're 500% right. I think you're doing the right thing by attempting to turn him away. Nothing good can come out of letting him back in your life, even if it's strictly as friends.

• "Why?"

Why even ask why? You should not care about him at this point. Move on with your life and let him move on with his. Whatever it is that he does is and should be of no concern to you anymore.

• he may just have realised his mistakes and is feeling the need to make amends. he could just be doing it to ease his own guilt. anyway the past is the past and i suggest you just get on with your own life

• I think you're right. Sever all ties and don't meet up with that fool

What Girls Said 1

• He many genuinely be sorry and want to make amends, especially if he's been getting clean. But this doesn't mean you need to let him back into your life. I'd accept his apology, wish him well and ask him not to contact you again