How do I let him down easy?

So to begin with my high school fall formal is Friday. I wasn't planing on going but once my friend said he was I thought about going. He asked if I wanted to go with him and I thought he meant just as a friend, because as far as I knew that's kind of an unspoken rule of friendships,(right?). But once he started asking if he was going to pick me up or if we would just meet (I said we will meet.), and he's even paying for my ticket. It became clear he meant in a girlfriend and boyfriend sort of way. Our mutual friend made a joke how he's going and I'm the third wheel, because he's the third wheel in too many relationships, and he's not going to be in ours as well. I don't like this friend back, like that. I asked one of my friends what to do and that if I don't tell him he will. What should I do? What should I say? And what would you do if you were in this situation? I really want to let him down easy and discreetly (I don't really want to just come out and say it), and to where he isn't hurt or sad. I know he's really looking forward to it he said I never thought a girl like you would go to full form with me or something of that nature. He's a bit nerdy and awkward but he's one of the kindest people I know so how should I handle this?

11

What Guys Said 1

• just make it clear that you're just going as friends

What Girls Said 1

• Just pay him for your ticket and tell him he is a great friend. Call him buddy and pal. He'll get he is being friend zoned. Tell him he is like a brother to you.