Is unhappiness a reason to end a marriage?

Most Helpful Girl

• i think being separated is acceptable.
    sometimes dysfunctional behavior can only be treated through separation.
    divorce i feel like should only be on the grounds of infidelity and physical abuse because it cannot be undone

emotional abuse i feel in my heart can be resolved through separation because it forces each individual to look at themselves and their behavior cause & effect and each other objectively. often times being together we grow complacent and take each other for granted. i think separation is really healthy to remind you of what you have

the purpose of a marriage is to work it out. you found someone you are compatible enough with to start a family. put in the work
    not a popular opinion :) but hope i helped

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 5

• Marriages go through cycles. I know, I have been married for 27 years. IT has NOT all been good by any means, and I have been "unhappy" and he has been "unhappy"... at the end of the day, when you marry someone, you need to make sure they are the person that you can be there for, when they are at their worst, and that they are the person you know will be there for you at yours!

• Unhappy as in WHAT? There are a lot of things happening around us that makes us feel unhappy but get over it a while later. Also, it depends on the degree of what kind of reasons, big or small. Base on your qns, I assume it's big reasons because I feel that big reasons are the ones that end marriages. But whatever reasons are out there, both partners should have try to solve it (eg. different opinions, perspectives result in arguments, leads to unhappiness, one way to resolve is to understand each other and accept each other for who they are, and u will be back happy by being inclusive).

• I don't believe so. There are ways to communicate unhappiness and work together to bring joy back into marriage. You need to fight to keep your marriage together. Marriage takes work. It's not going to be happy all the time, but you can work for what you want from it.

• Some background though-- I do not believe in making a decision fully based off feeling.

• My ex wife of 8 years left me, cause she said she was unhappy. I think she should have put more effort in before leaving. I think some people think that marriages are going to be rainbows and butterflies all the time. But they're not always, sometimes they take work. Although ours was pretty good. We treated each other really well.

• If you've tried and can't find a way to get happy (communication, therapy) then sure. Both people deserve to be happy and if one or both doesn't care to provide that, it's broken.

• If a marriage isn't making him or her happy , That's like being trap in a torture chamber . If a marriage isn't making you happy it's best to take separate ways.

What Guys Said 13

• My dad is an old man now but him and my mom divorced and my dad gave me some good advice out of this when I was in my early 20s. My dad told me he tried to make it work for me and my sister sake for a long time. He and my mother went to counseling and eventually my mom wasn't liking what the counselor was saying so she stopped going even though it was her idea to see the guy. My dad kept going to see the counselor. In a session the counselor and him got on the subject of happiness and the counselor said something to my dad along the lines of how we only have this life and your happiness in that life is important too. You can't go through life unhappy even if it means you need to divide your own kids parents so you can live a happy life. My dad broke this down to me I really understood, because if he and my mother stayed together my life would have been affected more negatively growing up in that toxic invironment and my father would have just been a very bitter man. He is remarried and very happy now. My dad basically told me there is no going through life being selfless sometimes you need to be a little selfish in order to maintain sanity because your happiness matters too!

• Is unhappiness a reason to end a marriage? Sure. Is it a good reason? Maybe.

Every marriage has unhappy times. Two imperfect people together means you're likely to have conflicting ideas, behaviors, etc... Nobody, purposely gets married to make the other person miserable! If that's what's happening, especially over a prolonged period (months and even years), then yes, I can see that as a reason to divorce.

However, I would hope that the one being hurt takes ample opportunities to explain the problems, and then offers the other person time to make changes. Compromises need to be made on both sides. If it's that bad, then yes, I can see where divorce can happen.

• unhappiness is a feeling, limited in time and shouldn't influence important decisions.

• If it is because of your partner, or how you feel about him/her, and you've already tried reasonable steps to resolve things, then yes, it can be a valid reason. This is why you shouldn't get married at a young age or if you've never lived together and never went on a vacation together. Just make sure you have a prenup ;-)

• Depends on what your immediate responsibilities are. If you're a dad, it's in your best interest to make things work with your family. Otherwise, you're just a crappy dad.

If you haven't had children, yet, it's quite simple. You don't care about your wife, move on with your life. you might encounter some legislative problems depending on where you live.

• usually it would be if its because of your partner but no if you are just unhappy in general. in that case your partner may be the one to help you change things. either way you need to talk

• yes, i think so.
    People do it today so it can.
    If you not happy i better suggest you and your wife trying to make it better because you should put effort in it.

• nope. thats a really immature and a stupid reason to end a marriage

• Yes.

• In my opinion, yes, if it's deep and lasting unhappiness and not just a mood.

• Yep.

• Yes it is you dumbie

• Hell yes.