Is this an appropriate reason to break up with a woman?

I was dating this woman she makes a comment because I was on the phone with my mom. She says "you're so weird" and laughs and it didn't sit well with me at all. The next day she comes up to hug me and I told her that I didn't want to be with a woman who insults me to my face. She gets upset and says "I was just playfully teasing you, a woman has never teased you before? I thought things were going well with us." I said "They were until you opened your mouth and tried being funny." She believes I blindsided her with a breakup but I don't think so. Was my reaction appropriate?

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean you can break up with a woman for any reason you want. In my opinion that was a bit of an overreaction. I would've let her know it hurt your feelings, but honestly she didn't know teasing you about that was off limits.

• why did her comment upset you so much?

• My boyfriend says that to me. I say it to him. It's affectionate and normal in the context we have.

• and honestly you'll find someone just let them know about this in the beginning tho
      they'll respect your feelings if they know what they are

Most Helpful Guy

• If it bothered you... then it bothered you. You don't have to justify yourself. Relationships have ended over smaller things.

What Girls Said 5

• You seem to be very sensitive, and have taken to heart what most people would assume to be a joke. If the comment had really hurt you then I think the more mature way would have been to explain that to her instead of ending the relationship. That way she would know your boundaries and if they were continually crossed then ending the relationship would be understandable.
    Ending it because of a flippant, teasing comment seems very extreme and if these are your standards many, many people will fall short of them

• Nope women want boundaries she was basically shit testing him to see if he would put her in her place, all girls do this to there boyfriends in the beginning

• @cchris987 and this wasn't one of those times. There was no context to her comment, and calling someone weird isn't a pecking order challenge. If you feel the need to "put a woman in her place" then first of all you're a dick, and second you're dating the wrong women.

@Asker she wasn't mean, she made what she thought was a joke. If you don't communicate with people and cut them off when they offend you everyone will be gone. Good luck finding a long lasting relationship

• I like how girls think that men are afraid of being alone like them. I've never heard of a crazy cat ma.

• I always tell people they're weird (in a playful tone), but I love weird people... You overreacted big time. But if you can't take a playful joke like such then don't be with her, thats your decision, albeit a petty one because it wasn't even malicious.

• You seem overly sensitive. I say stuff like this all the time to my boyfriend just because im teasing him and he just laughs it off an teases me right back. So, i'd say you were wrong.

• Your just a prime example of one of those people that take everything said to you, the wrong way. Instead of being such a drama Queen you could have laughed it off. But no, overreaction of the year. I could see more of a reason to end it with her if her comment was actually offensive or if you found out that she waa cheating on you. Or she decided to drop a bombshell on you and told you that she used to be a man or that she's bisexual.

• I disagree I don't think he should have broken up with her but I definitely think he should have taken her aside and told her to not do that. She would probably been turned on.

• She kept doing it and I let it slide for awhile. But then I had enough of it and let her go.

• Ah well sorry about that. I didn't realize that she kept going on about it. If she continued to slag you off like that then I don't blame you for ending it with her.

• No your reaction was totally not anywhere near normal in my opinion... you def. did her a favor in the long run though if you act like that over stuff like that... Jimmie Christmas!

What Guys Said 9

• Wow, you broke up because of that? Sounds like she had been bothering you before and this was the straw that broke the camels back!

• She had said it before and I let it slide. But then she kept doing and I couldn't take it anymore.

• Yep, been there. You can only stand so much of that shit!

• Well, it seems like you are a very serious person and you don't joke or tease people, even playfully so yes you can break up with her for that reason if you want too.

• I mean I joke around and have a very good sense of humor. But that comment brought back memories I don't want to remember.

• Yes, fair enough. As I said, you can break up with her for that reason, I do understand you don't want to remember certain things and if that person is doing something again and again to make you remember those things you want to forget then it's not wrong that you want to break up with them.

Hence you are not wrong to break up with her. It's not inappropriate.

• No, you totally overreacted. I mean, is there any more friendly jab possible than "You're so weird" followed by a laugh? You know, usually stories here are really slanted so you can't tell what actually happened but what bothers me most about your story is in no way are you the sympathetic character here, yet you're the one telling the story!

You definitely don't deserve this girl and just did her a huge favor by moving on.

• How am I the bad guy? She insulted me first! Yes being called weird is an insult.

• Dude you sound very sensitive. Incredibly sensitive... that was a very irrational reason to break up. Have you never flirted with banter? You just have to be cool man.. stand your own. Don't over react to shit like that. You are acting like a 14 year old girl bro.

• People break up for smaller things. Not sure why standing up for myself is such a bad thing.

• I think you overreacted a bit bro.

Some girls are like that. They take things lightly when they joke about it but to them it doesn't really mean anything.

Like I get those types of comments quite regularly but it's all just banter. I think you took it a bit too serious.

• I don't need to date those types of girls then.

• Holy shit you're sensitive

• You overreacted, by a lot...

• Trollllllll... I think?

If not then you have problems dude.

• Yes. Very innapropriate and I say this because, she seemed to be making a joke. I don't think she would intentionally try to be mean to you if she loves you. A joke is a joke. I even make fun of myself sometimes. Just relax.

• It wasn't funny to me and she's not funny. I feel so happy to not be with a woman like that.