How long does it take to get over a break up?

It's been almost 3 weeks since I broke up with my ex of 4 years. Haven't had any contact but I still think about her. How long does it take to get over a break up or how long did it take you?

27

Most Helpful Girl

• it changes person to person but it takes time

Most Helpful Guy

• I was in a relationship for 6 years and we broke up 1 1/2 years a go. It took me about 3/4 months to really get myself out partying again and seeing all my friends etc,,,, but I believe you never really get over it if it was real. However, you don’t HAVE to get over a relationship to move on and be happy. You were in one because that person made you happy and you enjoyed the time spent together. It will always be a part of you and you should let it because it will shape who you are moving forward. But if you mean in terms of getting out and dating etc… If I had my time again i'd do it asap, even if you still love your ex because that love won’t ever go away (even if you fall in love again, a small part of you will have that connection to your ex) so you may as well start enjoying yourself again sooner rather than later!!

What Girls Said 1

• some say it takes half the time of the relationship to fully get over it

What Guys Said 6

• Takes me absolutely ages pal, i get attached way too fast and easy then when its gone im just never over it for months, its horrible but i look on the bright side, i like to love, im good at it, so when i meet the right girl she's in for a treat as no one loves like me haha. Keep your head up mate it'll pass just keep doing you

• depends on how long you allow yourself to wallow after 3-6 months

• There is no set amount of time to go off of.. You're always going to think about her from time to time. The best thing to do is try to focus on yourself and what you would like to accomplish.

• It will depend on a lot of things
    How long you were in relationship with her
    The type of relation
    Your personality
    Etc
    How long it take to get over a break up also depend on how the break up happened and the reason
    If you can't stay in the same place with her it will be faster to get over
    In general it's about a month

• everyone is different, I do not think i will ever get over it

I say this for the marriage vow I made was so against my being and thus profound

• It all varies.

Heck I've dated this girl who I was just a rebound to for about 2 months. And despite seeing others, I'm still not entirely over her. Most of it is because we had so much in common and bonded over many things.