Why do guys say they want to remain friends with their ex girlfriends?

• To soften the blow of a breakup. They don't actually want to remain friends.
  • They don't want to lose her completely
  • They genuinely want to be friends with the girl
    Vote C
  • They still have feelings for the girl
    Vote D

820

Most Helpful Guy

• It's rare that a guy will go into era relationship based on looks/sex alone. There has to be something there, usually something that makes them friends.

So when they stop dating, they don't necessarily want to lose all the positive things that made them friends.

It very much depends on the nature of the break up. If it was amicable, then it's very appealing to just become friends again.

Most Helpful Girl

• My brother has tried to remain friends with every girl he broke up with. He still likes them as a friend. Many of his exes are still friends with him to this day.
    However, one time I had a boyfriend who broke up with me. He could see I was upset and said we can still be friends. I don't think HE really meant it though. I haven't talked to him since anyway.
    So it really depends on the situation. But at least try to remain friends.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 19

• this. . . is a really vague question. I mean this Is a good thing AND a bad thing, because on one end, a past relationship with a past lover belongs in the past, and it should stay that way, because then it leads to awkward situations where he could actually still have feelings for her and still didn't move on. on another note, it could be that the past relationship was not anything near as strong as their friendship, and the want to keep it as that (and hope nothing gets in the way of it). on that note, don't be afraid to talk about her once in a while and see how he reacts when he reminisces and talks about her. doing so will open your eyes to the type of person he is, whether he still has feelings for her, if he even sees the same beauty in her that he sees in you, that he'd sacrifice just as much and more. . . etc. Although if it turns out that he definitely still has really strong feelings for her, leave! DON'T GO BACK! TRUST ME, YOU WILL BE DIGGING YOUR GRAVE IF YOU DO. he'll learn, and there are too many people in this world to stress on one person

• Depends on the guy. I would find it a pity to throw such a bond away, staying friends would be fine with me

• So when times are tough they can try to fuck them.

• Because just because I'm no longer sexually intimate with them doesn't mean I want to cut them out of my life. It's not like I spent a year or more with someone for kicks and giggles, nor is it likely that we've ended up in such a spitefest that I'd never want to hear from them again.

• They still have not completely lost their feelings for them so this helps

• For me I tried it mainly because I felt like the memories would die of what we had. But over time I realized she didn't care about the memories or she would not have been my ex.

• Honestly? In my case it's always been about the possibility of having ex sex.

• I mean, personally, I was best friends with my ex before we dated, and so it felt natural to go back to that rather than trying to break off all contact

• They want something something to the side or keep that as a viable option in the future

• Obviously, this doesn't always apply, but I saw something once, which observed this and said that when the two ex's remain friends, they were either truly in love - or never was.
    Take it as you will. Doesn't always apply, if ever.

• Not this guy. There's a pretty damn good reason I don't want to be with my ex... lol

I only tried to stay friends with my last girlfriend because I thought she was mature enough. I realized quickly that she wasn't and changed my mind.

• Chose B because about 75% of the time, sex is a factor, unfortunately.

• "I want to be just friends" "I want to stay friends" " be my friend"

• I don't believe in the 1st one because most of them don't become friends till way after the break up the no contact rule most exs always come back

• It depends.

• same reason as girls.

• It's usually because they still want to hit it later.

• they want to sound nice

• For the chance to be FWBs in the future.

What Girls Said 7

• I've being friends with two exes and one of them didn't ever had feelings for me neither I did for him, but the other guy he tried to get back together with me, but it depends on the relationship some people can remain friends while for others it's too painful.

• I don't know why guys do it, but from my perspective I do it because I can't let go and it makes it easier knowing what my ex is up to, and who they're dating. Instead of sitting wondering all night what they're up to, I just put up with being their friend that way I have some sort of insight.

It helps me sleep better at night.

• not to lose completely

• well mostly a fall back when they feel alone and they want to have sex that's it

• I always took that as a just trying to be nice thing if they were to break up with me. I personally had no interest in staying friends with ex boyfriends and the one and only one I did stay "friends" with we were still spending as much time together as before sexual stuff included and I decided that I wanted to quit because I wanted to move on, because clearly it wasn't getting me anywhere he wasn't wanting to open up and really let me in his heart We tried again a couple years later and it was me that time that was unwilling to let him in when he was revealing all of these feelings that he should've exposed the first time.

• In case they can still call her up for some action while looking for a new gal.

• so naive. its actually to have your circle of hot friends and an intact reputation.