I over-think too much. How can I stop this?

I overthink about a lot of s*it. Most of my friends don't bother with me and everyone just ends up leaving me. So I don't have a social life and I think this is the problem. This has made me develop anxiety. Im not really sure what to do.

Most Helpful Guy

• For one you are not alone as I am in a similar situation as you are (overthinking things, not having much of a social life, and the anxiety). Those things have not stopped me from trying each and everyday to make progress. The best advice for not over-thinking is to not look at every action you take as a negative. I used to have a problem of dwelling on past events as "I should have did this" or "I'm missed out by not trying."
    As someone who had thought like this for a while I decided that in order to combat my anxiety I had to face it head on and realize that I can't let it control my life.

• Asker, If you ever need someone to talk to about stuff like this I'm all ears.

• Thank you x

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to have high anxiety and overthinking, but I got rid of it mainly with the quote
    "Fake it till you make it".
    This helped me get over so many hurdles especially my fear of public speaking. I often imagined myself as someone who I thought gave no shi*s in life. For eg I imagined to look at myself from the outside and I thought, 'you know what's real cute? Someone that's calm and collected' and from then on I imagined myself and spoke of myself to be 'chill' and 'laid-back'. The more you tell yourself and others this, you can trick your mind and eventually... you've faked it enough till you've eventually made it you

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 4

• Think about a different topic. Put everything you think about or "over" think about in its own little box in your head. close a box and open a different one when you find yourself spending too much time on a certain box.

• I think most people overthink, make assumptions and overanalyse at times. I'm guilty of that too. It just destroys your inner peace and happiness

Overthinking can destroy relationships and friendships, because it creates a problem that wasn't even there in the first place. I try to focus on why I'm overthinking. What do I base the assumption on. If it's valid them that's fine , but if I'm just being too paranoid and there's no basis for it , I try to put the thought to the back of my mind.

It serves you no purpose at all to overthink without any legit reason. Try to see a situation etc for what it is , rather than create an illusion of what it is or should be

• read some books to get rid of it do meditation

• That's in no way related to your friends and your lack of social life. I don't have a problem with that and I still tend to overthink and blow everything out of proportion all the time. It makes me feel like crap and distance myself from everyone around me. I know this doesn't help much but at least you're not alone.