What's the protocol for 'breaking up' with someone you're sort of dating?

I got out a long term relationship about 2 months ago. I can confidently say that I have no desire to get back with my ex and am basically over him. So recently I've sort of tapped back into the dating scene (tinder wuddup!!) and honestly was having a good time going on little dates and meeting new people -- all with out the pressure of being in a relationship.

About 2 weeks ago I went on a date with this guy. He's very handsome, and quite lovely. He says all the right things, texts me a lot, and seems to have taken a keen interest in me -- so much that last night he asked me if I wanted to be exclusive with him. Right in the middle of a steamy make out session so... I said yes. And the rest of the night he kept saying things like, "I'm so glad you're my girlfriend now" "I'm so glad I've met you" "You're just the cutest thing ever" I mean, I think most people would be quite happy to hear those things and I really am... but when I woke up this morning I realized that I probably just made a mistake.

I think a part of me is afraid to fall in love with someone -- well as of now anyways -- I'm afraid of how this relationship would even pan out. The way he treats me so far is hella sweet, however so did my ex. It started so quickly, like this, and then we struggled together for almost two years until eventually I guess we couldn't stand each others company anymore.

I don't want to break this guys heart, I really don't. I feel bad for not thinking things through, or at least not stepping back and having a talk about it first.

So, does breaking this up before it goes too far seem like the right thing to do? Should I have a frank conversation with him? Or should take a leap of faith and just give it a shot?

11
Sponsored

What Guys Said 1

• you should tell him your not ready for a relationship just yet and that you want to take it slow

What Girls Said 1

• I think a Frank conversation is the way to go. Explain your feelings completely and he should understand, if not his loss! Best of luck