About to break up with someone for the first time, any pointers?

So I'm going to break it off with my friends with benefits in a couple hours and I'm starting to get anxious and sad about it. She's a sweet girl and I like spending time with her, however I know she wants more and I can't give her more because I don't feel strong enough feelings for her to want more and all that does is make me feel like I'm stringing her along. I've also met a new girl who I'm crazy about and it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved if I continued having a friends with benefits while trying to court another girl into being my girlfriend. We're meeting for coffee, I don't want to do this, but I know it's the right thing to do.

Well I just did it and it did not go how I expected at all. Her first response was why didn't I do it over text (thought it would be rude to do it considering we've been seeing each other for almost 3 months. Right after that she said she had to go and bolted before I had time to say anything or why I wanted to break it off. I could tell she was furious, wanted to give her a text explaining everything but decided against it. I'd rather have her hate me so she can get over faster.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• You both know the arrangement your in, so it's no a relationship, so it shouldn't be that bad if you both know how it is, but be clear and honest - you want to end your arrangement because you've met someone you like and want to pursue a relationship with, you don't disrespect this girl you've been sleeping with and you hope she doesn't feel disrespected or that you gave her the wrong impression (but allow her to be emotional if she did misinterpret), but you no longer want to continue. Be clear, honest and quick is the kindest thing to do. It's not okay to lie or make some lame excuse, but if you drag it out and over-explain she might thing you don't really want it to be done, so keep it simple.

Most Helpful Guy

• I had to do this once, all I did was a reality check that I wasn't looking for anything more. and it worked out great, stayed friends with benefits.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 1

• Just tell her you'd love to keep her as a friend but the benefits part of your relationship has ran it's course. While it was fun you find yourself in a different frame of mind and wanting different things then when you started. With this type of relationship it was really only a matter of time...

What Guys Said 1

• Tell her the truth. That you don't feel the same way and that she is awesome.