Can exs just be friends?

I was with my ex for a few years. They asked to be friends still. My first reaction was no. But now I don't know if I was being to stubborn and just trying to protect myself.

• Yes.
  • No.
Select a gender to cast your vote:

64

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say majority of the time, no being friends with exes never works.

They usually do this to either:
    1. make the BU easier for them
    2. let you down easier
    3. they do care about you, just not in a romantic way and think this is an option. But in retrospect, is very disrespectful to the person being dumped.

The only time it can work is if you were previously friends before. Like in high school I ended up staying friends with my exes but that's due to being at school and having the same friend circle. If they weren't in your friend circle before, more than likely it won't work out and you might get hurt even more.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on why you guys broke up.
    I'm still friends with my ex (we just broke up about 2 weeks ago), and I feel that us talking with each other is (somewhat) helping us heal.

What Guys Said 3

• Exes are exes for a reason. Dont be friends.

• My ex is my best friend. Now we give each other relationship adice and she talks to me about other people she's crushing on atmd I try to help her ask them out

• no, they can't

What Girls Said 5

• nope nope

• It depends on circumstances and the situation really, I'd say yes it is possible but not for everyone

• honestly i thought it was fine last time, but when you get older you realise that it isn't

• It depends on the history of the relationship

• it doesn't happen