Who do you think takes breakups the hardest?

• Men
  • Women
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1914

Most Helpful Girl

• Whoever gets the most emotionally invested. While this may be weighed a bit more in the direction of females (as, even from an evolutionary perspective, women were hardwired to keep their family together and seek a mate who would be most compatible as a partner. Whereas men were hardwired to 'spread their seed' to ensure the survival of their genetic line), I think it should be generally taken on a case-by-case basis. It's obviously neither fair nor accurate to simply conclude that 'no man will ever be heartbroken' or take a breakup harder as, contrary to popular belief, men are very much human and do have feelings. 👌

Most Helpful Guy

• well it depends at first the girls, but a few weeks or months the guys. they finally know what they want but then it's to late

What Girls Said 18

• Whoever cared more about the relationship or was more resistant to the breakup. It doesn't have much to do with gender.

• Women tend to in my experience; women are literally the ones who will get cheated on and then ask themselves what's wrong with them, and continue to want the dude that cheated on them "because they love them."

#girlwut

• I believe they both could but at different phases or periods at a time.

• Girls suffer more and from mostly everything, guys are used with the idea of not being emotional, and they suffer inside and they don't talk with their friends about brake ups and this is amplifying the pain. This is just my opinion, but I tend to believe that guys suffer more after a brake up. It also depends on the case. If he didn't wish to be in the relationship anymore, or he meet somebody else.

• The who can't adapt easily . Also the one who is emotionally weaker, with little self- control over their emotions.

• I guess it will be the guys. Girls will cry their hearts out whenever a memory triggers them. But guys tend to cry a little less and a little stiff about showing their emotions about it. I am not generalizing though. :)

• Wish you put a both option. They tend to experience things differently but I think it is hard for either person if they were truly invested

• Right? Everyone's mileage will vary. It comes down to the 2 people in the relationship and their emotional investment and maturity.

• It depends on what the circumstances for why they broke up were.

• Probably the dumpee.

• It can be hard for both sides

• Just look at all the female breakup songs *cough* swift *cough* lol

• the person who got broken up

• Majority of the time it's women because we are the ones that get cheated on and not the men.

• The person who was broken up with, of course!

• WHO EVER GOT DUMPED

• Emotionally weak or more invested people will suffer the hardest. Don't think that gender really has too much to do with this

• Women suffer most, but men suffer longest. Long suffering is the worse. So I picked men.

• Men only take breakups hard when their egos have been shattered.

What Guys Said 13

• The one who was more invested in the relationship.

• The person being dumped.

• Who ever is in love.

• Women. Because of their 'princess' culture, they've never been able to handle rejection. Men have tried and failed countless times to find a good mate, so we're more hardened to it.

• For hundreds upon hundreds of years, men have traditionally been the ones to take the initiative and make offers. It's only natural that women haven't developed the same ability to handle rejection. I'm not saying it's good, or that we should continue that way, but it's not like this generation of women invented the idea or caused it or chose it. It's not "princess culture", it's OUR culture.

• @samhradh_leannan It's fallacious to assume human behavior = human nature. If it were in human nature for women to sit idly by and wait for men to initiate, then men would still be going about wielding clubs and knocking you unconscious.

And a lot of the blame is on men too. Men have coddled women. We treated them as damsels in distress that constantly needs rescuing and pampering. (Likely because of the fact women give birth.) Can't tell you how much I scowl at fathers who try to threaten his daughter's boyfriends.

But still, its up to the woman to learn how to handle rejection and how to go out and pursue her desires. Her life and happiness is solely her own responsibility.

• I'm not arguing about nature vs. behavior here. All I'm saying is that most of us (women) grew up being TOLD that we should let men take the initiative. It's not necessarily right, but it's reality at the moment. I agree that women should learn to take the initiative more and to handle rejection better. I just don't agree with the idea that women are spoiled princesses for having a more difficult time handling rejection. It's a symptom of a greater and more complex issue.

• Men. They usually put more into them than women and therefore lose more. Men often shoot themselves and drink themselves to death over women way more often than women commit suicide over men.

• I would say women, but these days I'm not sure.

• Fat people: because they know they'll never love again.

• Whoever didn't initiate it.

• The kids.

• Of course, women... they aren't logical thinkers and have trouble moving on.

• the one who got dumped

• It depends on several factors.
    Men usually end up better off, unless theyre a little bitch.

• I don't necessarily agree. I think right after breakup, men think they're better off. But women in the long run are better because they don't bottle their emotions up, and they grieve properly. Let's say most women.

• @lyannamormont men dont have womanly emotions... Well pussys do.
      I was bent outta shape over a break up once, for like 2 days then i got drunk for two more and added 30lbs to my bench press in month smashed a couple new girls and right as rain.
      And that was a bad break up, the other ones take like 10 min to get over.
      Divorce didn't even bother me.
      Break ups make men better.

• men it gets worse over time but girls it sucks at first then it gets better quickly