Is it normal to still be close after a breakup?

Just broken up a month ago. Nothing bad happened between us, just that some factors in our life are not in our favor... at least, not right now. We're still on talking terms and are still friends. I was VERY crushed in the beginning but have slowly learned to adjust. He tells me from time to time that he misses me and that his feelings for me have never changed. But still, it doesn't hurt any less.

I've been sick this week and have been pretty emotional. He sent me a really sweet message on Valentine's Day, which ended with "My heart is for you". I teared up when I read it. From time to time, he'd send me stuff he thinks I'd like or simply because he wants to make me smile.

I try to keep things positive and upbeat whenever I talk to him, although I still go through cycles of being alright one moment and sometimes just suddenly find myself waking up crying. However, tonight, I was feeling more down than usual. I just blurted out to him that I'd been bottling everything inside me and felt like I was going to explode. He told me I didn't have to feel bad and that I can always share with him how I feel. The reason I try not to share is that, even when we were together, he doesn't seem to express feelings/emotions as much/easily. Maybe it's a guy thing, I don't know, but for him to sometimes show or express emotions seems like pulling teeth.

You see... he was the one who broke up with me yet he still has been so sweet towards me. He said, "we didn't break up because I hate you, but because of...(insert circumstance which is too personal for me to share here)... I cared about you. And I still do. None of that changed."

It's nice that he's been sweet to me and all, and maybe it's all that that's been helping me heal. But I'm still curious... Is any of this normal? I always hear of couples who don't even or very rarely talk after breaking up. But here we are, still close.

Any thoughts/opinions welcomed.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Exes are exes for a reason. Cut all contact with him. This is just making it harder for you to move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• Recently got out of a long relationship myself for the same reason you have stated. We talk on occasion because we care about each other still and the love with always be there. But, there's boundaries involved and I keep talking minimal since I have to protect my heart. You'll know when the talking reaches too much if you get that gut feeling.

• have you moved on from him? are you able to date other guys?

• Good luck to you as well. Thank you for responding and for your kind words!

• Of course, anytime (:

What Guys Said 4

• No its a delusional fantasy if you think you can be friends

• Well, you can stay friendly with him but there will be lot of boundaries...

• you me yeah I like to stay friends but that is not always the case

• Well it's not good to be together after a breakup. After all you Brooke up cause you weren't making good together.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!