Absence makes the heart grow fonder? Or out of sight out of mind? Which is it when dealing with an ex?

166

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know about you but in my relationship of 5 years we went 7 months without saying a word to eachother. then I found she had suddenly passed away back in Dec of 2016. i was in complete and utter schock and then the water works kept coming in. she was only 27 years old.

• I'm really sorry :(. This is the stuff that makes me want to contact him. Life is too short. But I have to respect he doesn't want to talk to me. Hopefully he will regret jt

Most Helpful Girl

• It's different for everyone. If we'd broken up , for me personally.. it's" out of sight. , out of mind" If we don't have contact anymore then my feelings and memories gradually fade. I think about him less and less as time goes by.

I can adapt easily. I'm thankful for that , because I'd hate to pine after what's behind me. It's pointless holding into someone from your past. Life's meant to be travelled forwards... not backwards

Sponsored

What Guys Said 5

• out of site out of mind. got rid, if you can, anything that reminds you of your ex. The less you think about them the better. It only does the opposite if you weren't done with them when you broke up.

• If you have broken up it is out of site out of mind

• I think of all my exes. But the special ones i never forget. Even years later i think of them or a good memory i want to relive. The breakup was too painful to get back with my ex girlfriend. but i now mostly only remember the happy memories.

• No chance for reconciliation with this particular ex?

• She broke it off. Its her court

• both bc the great ones will never leave you and you'll come to realize that's a good thing. but like anything bad, your brain tries to stash it away to keep your spirits up so, you'll forget them mostly.

• Out of sight, out of mind.

What Girls Said 15

• Out of sight out of mind. Keep them as far away as possible so you can heal yourself and move forward.

• Hmm, I think if you give it enough time, you'll stop missing them. However, in the beginning you will obviously miss them because you are accustomed to their presence in your day to day life. You will notice their absence until one day you don't.

• I think both. While you're trying to forget them, you're going to think about them initially A LOT. And miss them of course.
    But then after a while, you'll finally forget them, and move on.

• Depends if there's fondness to begin with.

• ^^ This. Absence makes the heart grow *fonder*, too much makes it wander. That doesn't work if the heart isn't fond to begin with, and this typically works best when the lasting note in the end before parting is a most pleasant one.

• It depends who ended it. If it was you then out of sight out of mind. If it was him then absence makes the heart grow fonder. If it was mutual then flip a coin and call it in the air. The reasons for the breakup play a roll as well. Good, bad, indifferent. You can always choose one, too.

• For me, out of sight = out of mind. I'm as fickle as they come.

• For me it's out of sight out of mind. But for my ex's, since they're the ones that screwed up, absence seemed to make their heart grow fonder.

• girl it's done. Let the past be the past

• Out of sight out of mind for me

• Out of sight out of mind!!

• Someone put it this way..."Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else."

• Depends on a few things. how long was the relationship? on what terms did it end... and I hate to say it but... was the sex good...

• Over 3 years and it ended on pretty good terms. Sex was good!

• That's a hard one (excuse the pun)
      I broke up with a long time partner and it was on good terms.. sex was outstanding so it was difficult being apart... at night mostly! But we had major history too so whenever I had a question they were who I'd turned to and vis versa. Not healthy... but it served it's purpose in many ways.
      I'm just realizing that my answer didn't help at all. lol. shit now I wanna make that call. damn it Jim!!!

• Hahahahaha! This made me laugh. We are pretty much in the same boat. Tons of history and have taken a long time to really cut ties. But it's probably for the best. I can't lie, I really don't want him to forget me :(

• out of sight out of mind

• Out of sight out of mind. That's whathappens to me.

• Out of sight out of mind. Cutting contact is the best for me when trying to forget them

• Did you keep them on social media?