How do you get over being dumped in a relationship?

What's your go to comfort for forgetting someone? I need all the help I can get rn. I can't let emotions and stuff distract me from my race training and school work.

• Get drunk/High/fucked up
    14%(5)15%(12)Vote16%(7)
  • Be miserable and wait for time to take my emotions away
    14%(5)9%(7)Vote5%(2)
  • Go for a hike/Exercise
    11%(4)13%(10)Vote14%(6)
  • Have a one night stand with someone else
    0%(0)3%(2)Vote5%(2)
  • Watch movies and eat icecream until I feel better.
    9%(3)6%(5)Vote5%(2)
  • Meet up with friends
    34%(12)28%(22)Vote23%(10)
  • Other (I'll comment below)
    18%(6)26%(20)Vote32%(14)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Meet up with friends. I know it feels like the WORST feeling in the world but you're young and honestly you'll find someone else who you'll be just as, if not crazier about. You just need a good support system and the pain will go away. Keep yourself busy and know he won't be the last person to like you.

All those "little things" you're remembering right now? I can't even remember my ex's sister's name lol. I can't remember his birthday or his favourite food. It's all just faded from my memory because it's not important to me anymore. HE'S not important to me anymore.

Whatever you do, keep away from him. Lose all hope of you getting back together. I know that's not what you want to hear atm but trust me, when you let go of that idea it gets better. You don't need him at all. Someone will come along when you least expect it and be everything that he wasn't. You'll go through a "phase" soon where half the time you hate him and half the time you'll want him back. But all those reasons you use to hate him are VALID reasons. Get rid of every single trace of him and every way to contact him and you'll be fine after some time.

What Guys Said 31

• do not drink or smoke it will increase the depression. it's a true. after breakup guys drink to much that's why the take too much time to get out of depression of separation.
    it's take time. it's really depend upon how much you are close that person from your side.

hike and exercise is a good idea. but that will only during that time.

one night stand. if i will be at your place i will never do that. one night stand is never a option.

movies and ice creams are better option.
    do not eat too much Ice cream. it hurts stomach. movies watch action comedy. and romance ( really do not watch thing which make you remember your past. )

meet up with friends and enjoy much

...

now my thought.
    just forget him never go back to that person again. if he dumped you know it's mean he can do this again.

focus on your future dreams. make yourself best. now make only one aim to be successful in life.

and if you want a new relationship.
    hmm then take a little time. and then make a new boyfriend. make new and better memories.
    the more time you will take the more depressed you will be seeing and. thinking him with someone else.

• From a relationship coaches perspective, two things.

1) Remember (and keep remembering) why we break up. This, regardless of who ended it. It ended for a reason and I keep that in my mind rather than thinking too much about the good stuff.

2) Spend meaningful time with other people that I care about.

• Honestly, getting drunk and just having a one night stand are on of the worst choices in my opinion. They are not that bad but those make me feel like i need someone for me to feel better which shouldn't be the case. I personally just try to keep myself busy woth familly, friends and other cool stuff which takes my mind away from the breakup.

• Sorry to hear that :(. When I got dumped long ago I tried several approaches. From just getting a replacement asap (a bad idea, getting burned then sticking your hand in the fire again) to just staying single and finding other hobbies besides relationships. The latter worked best for me, focusing on myself. At least in time it will be easier to focus on your other interests and you will probably be glad you were dumped (as unlikely as that seems right now) sicne relationships take a lot of time, effort, and a rather large chunk of the daily schedule. Just have your friends cheer you on, friends tend to be better than lovers anyway. I don't mean to be nosey, but why did he dump you?

• get buried in work or art I usually prefer art! paint sketch or write down. dispose all the junk from previous relationship and before I start doing any of the above mentioned stuff I sit calmly with a bit of music n decide if I wanna let her go or get back into the relationship and try harder to not mess things up. hope it helped!!

• A bottle of good scotch, a cigar, and re-runs of sex n the city HA.

• Drugs, alcohol and whores ( kidding )

but seriously I usually just take a hot shower, a nap, workout do whatever I can do vent my body of the anger and frustration and just to relax.

• Don't drink/get fucked up. That won't help. Dont rebound or fuck a stranger, again, thats god damn terrible advice. Just hang with friends, do anything you like to do and just keep yourself distracted from it. Time heals everything.

• This should be a time to better yourself more like exercise or learn a new instruments or something, sorry😂

• Cut all contact. Accept it's over. Then go out with friends and then maybe go fishing or something.

• Find something else to do that takes my mind off it

• It depends on how strongly I felt about her. Time eventually makes it better but in the meantime I might drink, eat, porno, exercise, distract myself, talk about it with someone. Sorry if it happened to you recently

• time, mostly time

• Have a good support system and utilize the outdoors (grounding/earthing) as much as possible.

It really all depends on how you cope with such things.

• I just sleep and be lazy for a few days or go fuck someone that's hotter or someone she'd be mad at if she found out

• Getting high and finding someone new

• Meet up with friends.

• I go down to the bar and punch a ginger.

• go slut around for a bit haha

• Motivate myself to accept the end of the relationship not as a loss but as something that will benefit me overall. Then I'll probably try doing something to improve my life and maybe fail but either way feel like I'm doing something for my own good.

• ... I tend to do all of those

• i myself would go backpacking for a few days. but hey thats what i always want to do

• I got over them by meeting new people and hanging out with my friends.

• I don't get dumped because I would never be in a relationship. I'm aromantic and asexual. My brother's go to comfort is hugging his parents and he would spend more time with his friends.

• Exercise get in shape

• all of these do kinda work, but if your trying to make good decisions split it between exercising more and hanging out with friends. it's all about keeping yourself busy, oh and avoid movies because they normally just make you go back to sad

• I would say hanging out with friends usually helps, but I usually get fucked up haha, probably a mix of both actually is the best way

• do things that you wanted to do, but didn't have the time for, go on an adventure, look up some TED talks on YouTube for more in depth advice, they really help

• just sat around the house and listened to music.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 13

• I decided to try something new in my life and I started watching Animes. There was this one really good anime and it had like 700 episodes and I got sooo hooked to it! After I finished that I searched for more similar animes and there were so many, so I watched all of them. Some of them weren't finished so I had to read the manga and then I became addicted to mangas (comic books). There are millions of amazing mangas out there that I didn't even know about. I read them every day. I can safely say that that's what helped me, without even noticing. I wasn't thinking of my ex anymore, all I thought about were those mangas and animes and how I can't wait to come home from work to read it.

Basically, finding something that you're passionate about always helps. In my case it was animes and mangas, but it's same as books (novels). I think books are cure to everything.

• I've never been dumped since I've always been single, but I have my own style. I also do it after Physics, Maths and CAD exams. Here it is;
    1. Buy tons of your favorite snacks and foods
    2. Eat them fast.
    3. Pick up your phone and play your favorite games. You'll start to feel sleepy.
    4. Go to sleep.
    5. When you wake up, its all over 😂😂😂

• Step 1: Buy 1-3 quarts of ice cream.
    Step 2: Exist on a diet of said ice cream for the next 3 days. Mix in peanut butter/nutella from the jar and popcorn as seen fit.
    Step 3: Nap a lot. Everything is better after a nap.
    Step 4: Hit the gym. Work away your ice cream body
    Step 5: By the time your ice cream body has disappeared you will now be ready to date again.

Boom.

• Dont have a one night stand. Definitely dont go that far. But do find a new crush. Liking someone else can easily help you get over the last dude

• The healthy things are: remove your emotions by physical activity. Call a good friend and go to the movies, shopping, ...

• I would start by trying a new hobby (volleyball, painting etc) and then I would start thinking this to yourself not just in relationships but in all areas : "I would like you to come/be with me but I don't need you to come/be with me." You are created by God for a reason and for a purpose, you are beautiful.

• Sports and school are good distractions
    Hang with friends and famiky too
    Gd lck 😙😙

• I read about on how other people dealt with it. I jus went through a breakup a month ago. I cried ALOT! Then i went out to shop found stuff to keep me busy. NO Contact really works. But when he called me my heart had no feelings for him anymore... takecare of yourself thats the first step.

• C and f

• Just go through the emotions.. If you need to cry cry, if you need to yell, express yourself as this is a release. You will go through different stages but always remember feelings are temporary, nothing lasts forever, what's meant for you won't pass you and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.. Going though the same thing but the one that is meant for us would never leave us. Stay strong ♥

• by meditation

• In the initial stages of a breakup I need to be alone. I cry a lot, because tears can be therapeutic.

Then I go to the gym more. I always feel in a better frame of mind after a vigorous workout.

I also meet up with friends for a chat and coffee. Friends know how to lift my spirits and make me laugh

I also cut all contact and remove all traces of him from my life. Then I can move on quicker

• Honestly, it's more of a combination of a lot of these. After a messy breakup I usually go through a period of being hurt and sad, which usually means lots of time with my friends. And then as I get over it, I tend to shut myself off so that there are no more feelings which is when other guys come into play, where I do whatever I want without any feelings involved.