Have you ever stayed friends with an ex?

If so how did that happen?

My boyfriend of 4.5 years and I broke up, we both decided we were better off this way, every now and then he will text me or i'll text him but its mostly to see how each of us is doing. I know we definetly won't get back together but I would like to think we can at least be somewhat civil to eachother. What do you think?

The break up wasn't particularly horrible, we were engaged for 2 years but we called that off a few months before we actually broke up.

225

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. And she's been my BFF for years. I know. Sounds odd but sometimes it's best to not be in a romantic relationship. Makes things easier

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm still friends with my ex. Once I had gotten over the hurt of the break up, I could still see that he cared about me as a friend and I do care about him too and we both want what's best for each other. There's nothing wrong with catching up every now and then. Especially when you've spent such a huge part of your life with someone who was once very special to you. It would be more strange if you just completely cut them out and pretended like nothing ever happened.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 21

• I don't keep in contact with an ex. I have no need to. I don't see the point. It just complicates future relationships, and brings too much drama into your life.

I guess all you can do is try to be friends, if it doesn't work out then just part on good terms , and move forward with your lives

• I'm friends with most of my exes, all except one (because he hates me), frequently talk to one of them (even took trips with him or with him and friends), am on good terms (catch-ups) with the rest. I think you can definitely be friends. The texts may feel a bit awkward at first, but that's okay, you're transitioning from fiance to couple to friends, it'll feel more natural as time goes by. I think the fact that you guys text each other to check up and catch up is a good start.

• Depends on why you broke up. If you broke up because you didn't work together when living together then yeah you can be friends. However if it's a fight or serious problem that went on (cheating) then yeah I'd expect no friendship after that. In conclusion, you kind of have to decide whether you want to be friends with that person or not based on the severity of the break up.

• yup. she's been my bff for 14 years and I still keep in touch with my ex hubby cus we got a kid together so he sometimes comes to visit

• Some exs yes - my ex husband and I were together 12 years and drifted apart, he lives far away, but we're on reasonable terms. Ex boyfriend after that treated me very badly so not in touch at all and blocked on all social media. All depends on why and how you broke up and if you were friends before.

• No I never have and don't see how it can be done. If you couldn't manage your relationship then what makes you think the two of you can be friends. Some exes can be friends with there exes but I don't see how it could work. It's better to just leave them behind and move forward with life.

• I have an ex I'm friendly with, but I only call him an ex because we were dating and bought each other Christmas gifts. I have other exes (people I dated) I bump into occasionally and may talk to. And then I have my proper ex who I cut off all contact from.

• I don't think so. I used to try being friends with him but then he started to wanting us to be in a relationship again like old times... but I don't' want to. He sulked and we parted just like that.

• Yes with one of them. nothing spectacular happens we are still just friends. Celebrating bdays, Christmas etc. with messages, and sometimes consulting each other if there is a big decision we have to make, because we trust each other.

• Haha, no :)

• I'm currently friends with my ex. He said I was like his angel. But we broke up simply because we weren't right for each other.

• On good terms, but not best of friends.

• Yea we don't talk much but we were friends before

• I have tried but they all eventually want to have sex.

• Yes you can. But not with all your exes. Some people can work that out, others can't.

• i am friendly with all my exs

• It takes time. How much time is that is is up to relationship. If one of you has feelings for the other then it gets tricky.

• hell noooooo

• Yes actually and we are sorta in the mode of in and out. In other words, there is still an emotional connection , and he asked me to move in recently - but we need time to heal. I feel that all things need time- both good and bad.

• I've only had one ex and we do not keep in touch and i wouldn't want to.

• Well im friends with one of my exs. Was on off for a year and a half so not as long. Kinda ended horribly. The first time we agreed to be friends as he went to uni far away, he got a girlfriend which was ok. But he went abroad for 6 months and came back and slept with me as he knew I still had feelingd (I thought his girlfriend split up with him as he never mentioned her anymore and because of the distance for 6 months) but obviously finding out he used me as the other woman ruined things. I flipped out. He disappeared for a year. But we agreed when he came back that fighting isn't solving anything. We were good as a couple, good as friends, he apologised and we went through a lot to throw away and pretty much speak daily now