Do you believe that once you start considering breaking up with your SO, it's time to break up?

I've seen many people asking if they should break up with their SO, and I've seen many responses along the lines of, "if you start having thoughts about breaking up, then that means it's time to break up." Do you agree with this? Do you think that if the thought of breaking up even enters your head you should probably break up soon? Why or why not?

102

Most Helpful Guy

• I've thought of hitting someone in the head with a hammer, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it

Most Helpful Girl

• Unless you're having these thoughts because you are genuinely unhappy in the relationship then I don't think you should break up. I think a lot of people like to think the grass is greener on the other side but that's really not the case most of the time.

What Guys Said 1

• I think that it's only time for a break up if you think so... a thought isn't anything in my opinion

What Girls Said 9

• No, the thought of breaking up can pop into your head in times of anger or boredom... That doesn't mean your relationship is doomed, it means that you have things to work on in your relationship. All relationships go through lows and highs, if you throw it away the second you have those thoughts then you'll never stay with anyone.

• No I disagree, relationships go through many phases as do individuals, sometimes you can grow back together after change sometimes you can't. But to give up upon thinking things seem
    Distant or different would be a mistake.

• It depends on the situation, but I think that's probably true the majority of the time. I tried to break up with my husband three times when we were still dating because I thought I wasn't right for him, but here we are after 1.75 years of marriage still going strong. Lol

• it depends on the situation... why are the thoughts there to begin with? if you're being abused in any way or cheated on in any way, absolutely end it. maybe just some time apart will allow you ro see how you really feel. either you will miss the other person or you won't.

• lol as everything in life, it depends on the situation. If life was so black and white...

And I love it when people take these sayings or quotes they say laying around and assume them is universal laws for love and then blurt them out in every situation as advice to other people in their relationships, regardless of the specific situation at hand.

• No I don't agree. Every relationship has downpoints where the thought of breaking up pops up in your head, however your relationship is not directly doomed if you want to work out your problems together. You can achieve so much by just working on your relationship.

• No. Love is about patience and understanding.

• I have had thoughts like that, but I am so damn glad I did not do it

• Yeah. Totally.