After a divorce should you list yourself as single or divorced?

I'm getting ready to go through one and I was wondering how other people list themselves afterwards.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think to be an honest person it's better to put divorced, but actually it does not matter at all because being in a relationship for a long time is the same as being divorced.

Most Helpful Guy

• When I got divorced in 2003 I listed myself on dating sites as being divorced, and this way when and if you meet someone else you won't be lying by saying that you are single when you just got divorced coz usually your significant other will find out and that relationship with them won't last long

Sponsored

What Girls Said 3

• Whichever one you feel more comfortable with

• I went for single as I didn't want to to sound like I couldn't hold down a relationship.

• i'd say single

What Guys Said 12

• I went through one at 46.. sucked ass.
    but I list myself as divorced if it is an option. Single if it isn't since that is what I am. If you have a "divorced" option on lets say a dating site. Then you list yourself as single, women are going to think you have never been married. That comes across as lying.

• on a dating site?
    well your first marriage failed (so did mine, so nothings wrong with that, shit happens!), most divorces are initiated because of dishonesty somenwhen. So when looking for someone new, why on earth would one start the very first contact with a lie?
    list yourself as being divorced. Not only because it is the truth, but also that is proof you do have experience with long term relationship and are capable of handling life maturely.
    Least, because a mid 40s man being single, has some kind of "creepy" bytone, don't you agree? A woman, as i'd imagine, would sort a mid 40s man being single out for being either a PUA or not capable of commitment or some nerd living in his mom's basement. Neither of that is, to my experience, very much sought for by women.

• I think people put divorced if it's a major part in their lives (ex wife is always around, has a kid). You can put single dude (:

• If you list yourself as "single," everyone will ask "so you've never been married?"

• I can't say it any better than @rcm1ah said it...

• divorced

• I would assume you're talking about an online dating profile in which case I'd put "divorced" because if you're "single" at our age many will assume something's wrong with you.

• Single. I would only put divorced if you have kids, but if you don't just put single.

• divorced for legal and single when you get back into dating fyi nothing kills the mood worse than talking bitterly about a ex that wronged you

• I listed myself as divored. I felt that single implied that I had never been married and that simply wasn't true.

• It's more honest to put Divorced.

• your age? div. mine? s