Is it normal for people sometimes to say hurtful things / lash out during a break up?

The first night my ex tried to break up with me we had both been drinking which definitely intensifies emotions. She lashed out a bit and said some mean things like I won't find anyone as understanding as her and not too many people will be able to deal with my family. She's never even met my family and when we were together and before she said that's one thing she liked the most- how close my family was. When people lash out during a break up do they mean it? She apologized the next day

21

What Girls Said 2

• I think there is usually some truth being angry or drunk words.

• But why do people lash out during break ups

• So you're saying she meant all those things she said

• Maybe not 100%, but yeah I think they are definitely little seedlings of her true feelings.

• yes obviously

• So do you think when people lash out they mean everything they say?

What Guys Said 1

• Yes often the emotions bring out the worst in people when they are upset.

• So you don't think she necessarily meant everything? I mean even I said things I wish I hadn't hers were abit more hurtful

• Not it's that bad. I said a few below the belt things too. Isn't it normal for people to lash out sometimes when they are confused or upset?

• Of course because it's hard to rationalize the situation and once something is said it kind of escalates what is said.