What do you do if your SO threatens to hurt themselves because you try to leave them?

I personally am not in this situation. But what do you do if someone your dating tells you that if you leave that they will harm or kill themselves?What do you do if your SO threatens to hurt themselves because you try to leave them?

1021

Most Helpful Guy

• GTFO, that is not a place you want to be. Offer to help them find treatment and make it clear that you do not want to be in a relationship with someone who will threaten to hurt themselves over someone leaving. That is not love anymore if they are resorting to emotional manipulation.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's emotional manipulation and if it's a repeat pattern then that's emotional abuse. If you're in an abusive relationship with someone like this then the best thing for you to do is leave. If they threaten to kill/hurt themselves then you call the cops and have them do a well being check on them. Most likely they are just doing this to control you though and will be pissed that you called them out on their bluff and abuse.

What Guys Said 20

• I'd still leave, I'm not getting emotionally blackmailed.

I'd reach out to someone she knows about this so she can be assisted to get help.

• Leave them anyway because that's manipulative bullshit right there. I don't have time for that. I'd tell a family member of theirs that they said that before I break up with them.

• That is old tactic that is used people say their going to self harm if you leave the relationship , that is their manipulative ways of getting over on someone.

• That means that they are unstable to live by themselves and they need to seek help. It is dangerous to be with someone like that. If my SO threatened me like that, I would still leave them. That is their own personal problem of instability. I would at least point them in the right direction but I can't deal with the pitiful drama.

• run, you dont want to be involved in a toxic and controling relationship like that. if you really fear for thier life, call 911 or your local nental health hot line/ services

• That didn't happen yet.

• Call for an ambulance and have them admited on a psyciatric hold to ensure they get the help they obviously need.

• Do not totally leave them without having getting them help. Left alone with the loss of the SO most likely will drive them to do something irreversible...

• then LEAVE QUICKER. They need mental help and I wouldn't want to be around them.

• id leave them and just make sure they dont do anything too harmful
    make sure people close to her knows so they keep an eye on her

• This is more becuase of lack of confidence, solitude or he was neglected in the family.
    Maybe try to conect or to make my SO to conect emotionaly to someone!

• My Answer : "Population need to be in control"

• I'd still leave plus I'll threaten to tell her relatives.

• their problem, if i'm leaving it's for a good reason, what they do here on out is on them

• Leave

• leave still

• You are correct.

• Leave anyway

• You leave anyway... likely they are bluffing... at minimum, they are emotionally abusing you by threatening that.

• I would still leave that person. I would not want to be with such a person.

What Girls Said 9

• If I answered this last year, it would be to stay and help them, but since then I have learned that they need a professional and that leaving them and making sure someone else helps is the best option.

• Tell their parents, friends, other loved ones or. Notify the authorities.

• i'd tell him that i care about him, that i don't want him to hurt himself... but that he can't use me like that. it would hurt me immensely if someone tried to manipulate me that way.

• Its their problem, not yours. They try to touch your emotional part. They need help for their behavior, so tell that.

• that s like blackmailing you
    I ll inform their family members
    and take him to see a doc

• Tell their parents/family and call 911. Then leave.

• I'd leave anyway. That's a big manipulation >.<

• I call the police. That is usually just a manipulation tactic to try and force you to stay with them, but you can never be too careful.

• Leave and call the police. That's way above my pay grade.