Am I wrong for reacting this way?

The other day I was at my boyfriend's house and while we were watching a movie, I got bored and reached for his phone. His phone was locked, but while I was scrolling down his messages, I came across a text message that another female sent him referring to him as "babe". I got upset and asked him who it was, he then told me that it was his cousin and she was in another country. I'm not the kind of spouse that requires the passwords to their SO cellphone, social media accounts and etc. So when I seen the message, I got upset because I trusted him. I then told him that I was done with the relationship. I'm 18 y/o & he's 25 y/o, and we recently started dating. I don't really have much experience with dating, so I'm not sure if I overeacted or if my reaction was justifiable. Am I right for reacting this way or did I overreact?

135

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It isn't wrong for feeling suspicious, most cousins wouldn't call their guy cousin 'babe'. Honestly, at that point, I probably would have wanted to see the rest of the conversation, to see if he is telling the truth or not. I don't require my boyfriend's passwords or anything, but if I ever saw a text from someone I didn't recognize, I would get curious, and if I saw 'babe', then him and me are going to sit down for a talk and I would want to read the rest of that conversation, because if he lets someone else call him a term of endearment ('babe') then that relationship is probably getting too close for comfort. What cousins would call another cousin 'babe'?

What Guys Said 4

• I think you did perfect, it's all about trial and error

• no u r not overreacting... thr should be a transparency in relation like boyfriend girlfriend... u r right n stick wth it

• well i have 3 sisters. and done of them have ever called me baby. I'd say you were dead on

• first off you kind of over reacted you should of seen who she was first and talked to her before ending it if he was cheating then dump him if he wasn't then you should of stayed

What Girls Said 12

• Cousins most typically call each other babe. That was a lie I think. I'd've been pissed too

• You're 'done' with a relationship you've been in for not that long ago because you found something that 'didn't sit right with you' after snooping in your ex-boyfriend's phone?

• He was my boyfriend at the time, but after I seen the text I broke things off with him. we've been talking for awhile, but we officially started dating not too long ago.

• yup. Boyfriend of three years and counting. 👌

• Good for you.

• He's lying what cousin says babe

• I would've asked to see the rest of the conversation and have him show me who she was and show me that he wasn't lying if he was telling the truth. But if he didn't let me see the texts or anything else I would end it.

• what cousin calls you babe? lame excuse in my opinion. you did the right thing

• The cousin think seems to be a lie... So something must be happening there
    but in the other hand, you shouldn't be going through someone else's messages. It'd be good to work out on your insecurities for future relationships

• justifiable. sounds like he lied ain't no cousin calling me babe

• Why were you scrolling through his phone?

• We were watching a movie and I got bored. So I picked up his phone, which was still locked.

• How long have you been together?

• Who ally's their cousin babe?

• No you are right, it is weird that his cousin would call him "babe".

• I guess his privacy is not something you value.

• I stated that I don't require my SO passwords to their social media accounts, cellphone and etc. So how is that not respecting his privacy?

• Ok so if you peek into a half open window or door, it's not really peeking?

• 1. Was it his cousin?
    2. Was it actually his cousin? You needed to find that out first.