How can you support a friend going through a bad breakup?

I have a guy friend who is going through a tough breakup. He's really struggling and I'm really concerned about him. There are 3 children involved as well. To complicate things, I do have feelings for him, BUT I have absolutely no intentions of taking advantage of the situation. I genuinely want to be there for him. His happiness and well being is my first priority. I just don't know what to say, how to support him, etc. I'm afraid I'll say the wrong things. Any advice?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• just listen to what he says and how he feels and try to understand. breakups are complicated and there's always two sides of the story so don't get too involved but just be there to support him no matter what.

• tell him the kids will be fine. it's better to have broken up parents than broken parents and grow up in a house without love.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just listen and do as you would with a female. Offer him lunch and just listen and talk. Remind him life isn't over and you will help in anyway shape or form.

What Guys Said 2

• Just be there for him and listen to him

• just be there to listen... but he might want to be left alone fore a while

What Girls Said 3

• Do something to take her mind off of it

• be there for him. Just be there to listen etc

• i would try to comfort him