Why do so many women think that after divorce ex husband's should continue to support their ex wives?

1d
Update
1d
Update 2

56
Sponsored

What Girls Said 5

• Women usually fall out of love, and blame the men for the failed marriage, so they feel entitled to it, since it's "his fault" that the marriage ended. Really it's just because they're unhappy in themselves and resent him for not feeling the same way.

But times are changing, and the traditional views of an American housewife are thankfully fading. Hopefully more wives will hold jobs to keep them busy and productive which will boost morale. And I personally am okay with house husbands becoming more common.

• Isn't it the wives with jobs that are unhappy?

• Touche.
      Sadly you are correct, and I don't agree with it, but that's the way our society is going.

• 1d

@_Asker, my wife is very happy in her job. So is my son's wife.

• The concept is getting more and more outdated. Alimony comes from a time when it was the norm for a woman to be a housewife and raise children, and men would be the primary breadwinners. After a divorce, without her husband's financial support, a woman would be immediately impoverished, especially if she had no work experience or higher education. Now that more and more married couples have double income, it's outdated, but only for those couples. I think it should be updated to if one spouse makes significantly less money than the other spouse, the spouse that earns more money pays them alimony for up to an established period of time based on how long that spouse would need to get a job that can support them and/or get an education to allow them to support their family half the time. It shouldn't be that the man always pays the woman alimony forever.

• I don't even think people try to work out things to keep their marriage together. People usually go straight for divorce instead of marriage counseling.

• I think people especially women (70% of women file for divorce I think) are more intrested in the wedding than the marriage.

• Most women do it out of spite to hurt the man.

• If they had kids and she/he either stayed home for a block of time or was the one who had to take off when they were sick and what not (therefor was probably passed over when it came time for promotions) then yes. For just being married no... I think it has more to do with the one who sacrifices more professionally after kids come into the picture.

What Guys Said 6

• 1. Because the way our laws/system is setup 90% (not exact statistic) of the time the woman is going to get the child and part of the defense in her mind is she "deserves" that money, because it'll be in part used to take care of the child.

2. Pettiness.

3. What do you expect to happen, when a girl is raised with the idea "you deserve a man who will treat you like a princess and take care of you". She locked down the man and now they're divorced. She doesn't have a new man just yet, then what do you think she wants?

4. In a woman's mind a lot of time if the relationship goes south, she "wasted" her good/years of her youth on you and locking down a new man when she isn't as attractive as when she was younger is harder in part because of you and the failed relationship. It's complete B. S. but it's an emotional thing anyways and the discussion is why do they "feel" entitled to your money after the fact.

5. Spite.

• 1d

It's about many men marrying down

• 1d

Not all men do marry down, nor do all women marry up.

• 1d

@jacquesvol not all but there is like a general rule

• Your anger is palpable. There are some logical justifications for alimony in some circumstances but I'm sure you don't want to hear any of that.

• Boys are born and taken care of pretty good for a few short years and then both the quality and quantity of care tapers off until you reach about 16-18 and you're officially responsible for yourself.

Girls are born and taken care of as much as possible as long as possible and honestly, the majority of them will never be responsible for themselves or anything else, and nobody will ever expect them to be.

I mean their attitude, people call it "entitlement," but it's so far beyond that, it's like not only are they the most important person in the universe, they're actually the ONLY person in the universe, "of course my ex-husband pays for everything while I give the kids Xanax and hit the clubs every night, of course that's my life. Of course that's okay. I'm 100% happy and fine!"

• They are often bitter and therefore like the idea of taking off the husband. That's what i think anyways. I would legit make her life a living hell if she went to court demanding all my stuff and got away with it.

• Because they are severely narcissistic.

• If I want to see stupid movies I will switch to the television set.
    These refer to situations from the 50ies.
    I suppose some men 6 times married to a stupid big boobed broad with without any degree and divorcing for their next big boobed stupid broad will complain about those things.