Why are most guys so obsessed with their ex girlfriend?

I can't even tell you how many times my friends or I have gotten involved with a guy, just to find out later that he isn't over is ex. Even if he dumped her, and even if it was a LONG time ago, there is still some weird residual feelings that cause problems in future relationships.

Personally, its happened to me in the past year maybe 5 or 6 times. Same with all of the other girls I know.

So basically, guys, why the eff do you get involved with/pursue other girls when you are still emotionally unavailable to do so?

How to I prevent this from happening in the future? I can't handle another heartbreak like this.

Most Helpful Guy

• Why live in the past when the future is is the only thing that matters? I personally hate my ex girlfriend, there aren't that many people that I actually hate, but her I hate her and I never think about her, the only time I said anything about her to my current girlfriend is when she asked me about her, but other than that nope.