Is staying busy after a breakup really the healthiest thing?

All of the "get over the breakup" advice I receive ranges from 1) Find someone new and QUICK! 2) Stay busy busy busy, don't stop to think about it. I feel like neither of these things really heal the pain, it's like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. I have also realized I was the rebound relationship with my last boyfriend and he broke my heart (as he wasn't truly in a place to WANT anything serious)

So I would never suggest rebounding to anyone who wants to treat others the way they deserve...Am I just too old fashioned or something by thinking if everyone cooled it a little after a break up and felt the sh*tty feelings to be stronger first then we would ALL benefit from less heartbreak?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never seen anyone say to find somebody else right away, you're right, a rebound relationship is not a good idea when you're heartbroken still.

I don't like "stay busy" either, I think it's more that you just need to get yourself back into your old routines, keep in touch with your friends and family, because they're your support system.

I think right after the break-up, it does help to talk to someone about it, not just push it away. Having a shoulder to cry on can help you heal. As long as you don't keep dwelling on it afterward. It's fine to have some time to yourself to cry it out or whatever you need to do. But eventually you need to pick up the pieces.