Why would my Ex-boyfriend want to contact me when he has a new girlfriend?

My ex has contacted me after close to a year of no contact. He asked how things were with me and he continues to contact me every couple weeks just for no reason other than to say hi and see what I'm up to.

I know he has been seeing someone new for a couple months and it is even on his FB that he is, but he tells me he is single and not with anyone.

The last time he messaged me he wanted to see me so I went and met him and we visited for about 2 hours. When we seen each other it was like we were still together. We laughed and joked with each other and never once brought up our breakup.

I have not heard from him since and I don't know what to think about that and I feel like crap more now then I did before I met him again because I love him so much and miss him.

Why would he be doing this when he knows how I feel about him and what this is doing to me? Does he still have feelings for me and seeing me was just as hard for him?

Just looking for some opinions and thoughts, not any smart or rude awnsers.

I just don't understand why he chose to come back in contact with me after so long when he is with someone.