Would you be ok with your girlfriend/ boyfriend being best friends with someone of the opposite sex?

If you were in a long term relationship, would you mind if your significant other developed a new friendship with someone of the opposite sex?

-If you wouldn't be comfortable with the friendship, explain why.
-If you dont mind, what kind of things are ok for them to do together? What are the boundaries?
-if it depends...under what circumstances would you accept the friendship?

• I would be fine with my spouse having a friend of the opposite sex
  • I would not be comfortable with my spouse having a friend of the opposite sex
  • it depends on certain factors...

Most Helpful Guy

• That's exactly what's happening to me now. In fact I've just asked a question about this on the board.

Together with my wife for 12 years and married for 7, 2 small children. I am a nurse so I have a lot of contact with women but one in particular I have developed a close personal friendship with. It's great. We do lots of things together, talk, joke, tease each other, support each other, go for drives, walks etc. It's great. Even my 4 year old loves her!

My wife is supportive of the friendship because she knows how important it is for me, I don't have a close family and she is like a sister, and my wife and kids always come first.

In a long term relationship like this no one person can possibly provide all of the emotional needs the other has. I can't provide everything my wife needs either. If you can't have a life outside of the main relationship it becomes like a prison.

I am in an unusual situation as nearly all of the people I have contact with are women, so of course I will develop friendships with women. If I worked with men then that's who I would be friends with. So I can't answer about other men who don't spend as much time with women as I do.

The main thing with these type of platonic friendships is being open and honest with your main partner. There is simply no other way. If your main partner gets even the slightest hint of dishonesty or secrets it's a downward spiral and there's no getting it back. My wife knows everything we do together, I tell her everything. Openly and honestly.

As for her having a male friend. Unlikely as she has little contact with men, but if she did that would be fine. I trust her to be just as open and honest as I am with her.

What Guys Said 6

• I wouldn't care. I mean I trust my girlfriend to be loyal, as I am to her, so I see no reason to be bothered by such facts. As for boundaries, I'd say that fooling around, kissing on the mouth, that sort of thing would be over them.

• I would be fine with my spouse having friends of opposite sex, but I would want to be my girl friends best friend always.

• Per usual, I'll be the honest one.

Hell no.

I'm too jealous for that.

"Friends" while sexual impulses bubble below the radar? Nope.

• In a long term relationship, I'd rather she be best friends with ME, otherwise what's the point?

• Either you trust or you don't.. simple

• She can do what she likes. Me and my female friends get up to all kind off shit so only fair I let het do the same as she lets me.

What Girls Said 3

• I would have a problem if it was a "best" friend.

A best friend is someone you share everything with. A girlfriend is also the person you share everything with. If his best friend happened to be a woman, I would always be worried and I'm not even a jealous person.
    I witnessed this scenario with a friend of mine. Her boyfriend had a female best friend. It turned out, that best friend was bitching on my friend all the time, saying she was just there for his sexual needs and she wanted to date the guy. How did it end? My friend broke up after almost four years together because it was too much. Worst part is that he was overly jealous and didn't understand why she was.

My boyfriend doesn't have a best friends. He has many friends (boys and girls) but I'm the person he shares everything with and I would see a female best friend as a rivale. I'm sure of it.

• F*ck no. Most females of this generation are sneaky little hussies and I don't trust them near my man for long periods of time.

• Depends on how close they are, what the girl is like, how much I trust this hypothetical boyfriend who doesn't exist, etc