Why do people get upset when dumped over text?

I've never done it to anyone or had it done to me, but I do know people who've had it happen to them. Personally I don't see the big deal. If the person is dumping you then why care how they do it? Why waste your time being pissed over it, I mean you were going to be dumped anyway so why would you even want to see the person. Text or in person does it really matter when either way it's over?

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't had this happen to me either and I haven't done it to anyone. I assume its just the principal. Texting is a more casual way of communication for lack of better words. I personally do think some things should be discussed in person just out of respect. I assume some people don't feel like they meant much if the person couldn't just communicate with them face to face.

At the same time I'm sure there are some people who make this a bigger deal than it really is because they are hurt, emotional, and irrational in the moment of reading such horrible news.

Another possibility is that there may not really be closure when you just get a text saying its over. They might not reply again or go into detail. Even if they do the conversation just isn't the same.

• Thank you for be some one who doesn't just say it's cowardly and stops. I still don't see it as a big deal, but I understand where some people may make it one.

What Girls Said 6

• because the one dumping is a coward who can't tell the truth face to face

• I prefer text message - it's less painful.

• because it's disrespectful. if you were important enough to date, then you're important enough to be dealt bad news in person. It's common courtesy.

• It's the principal of the whole thing. I honestly find is disrespectful in all measures because what's the purpose of breaking up with me if you don't have the courage to say it to my face?

• It's a respect thing. I feel it would be the same as someone telling me someone close to me passed away over text. I of course will find out anyway, but seriously be respectful.

• I've been dumped in text form before.
    It was when he did it, what he said AND the fact that it was a text message that just made it all so surreal.
    A text message is so cowardly, and it's like a slap in the face, "You're not worth the trouble... just wanna drop you with a note, peace out," kind of thing, haha!
    I understand that many want to avoid confrontation, but seriously... grow up people, haha!

What Guys Said 5

• because you hope that person who dumps you cares and respects you enough to do it in a personal way. it essentially says I don't care enough and I'm not adult enough to handle my dirty business in a mature way

over text is a cowardly way to go about business.

• Depends how long you were with them. If you were with someone for 2 years and they dumped you over text that would not be cool. 2 years is a lot of memories and they deserve to be told face to face. If its 2 weeks then text dumping is fine I think.

• Because it's tacky and cowardly.

• I'd say because it seems an impersonal and cowardly way to do it. It's the same thing with comments on the internet, you can say pretty much anything you want without a fear of reprisal.

• because it takes a real coward to dump someone over a text