Tell your parents your dating an atheist?

Lets say you had to tell them you were dating an atheist haha how would you do it and how would you react?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am an atheist (basically) and they know that, so they wouldn't be surprised.

But oh man, one time? Hahahah!
    Okay, my parents are good ol' Texans... very Christian, pretty conservative, very Republican. I'm, uh... not, haha!
    I was dating a man who was an atheist (they didn't like), and who was a Communist (I am NOT a Communist, but it wasn't really important to me, so I didn't care) and my parents were like, "Are you trying to kill us?" Hahaha!

As for telling... IF it's relevant, just say it.
    If it's not relevant, I don't see why it would come up at all.

• Lol you save the image of texans to me sparrow you're so smexy

• Aww, thank you ^_^

What Girls Said 10

• Well, my mother is an agnostic and my father is a pan-theist, so I don't think they would care too much. And even if they were particularly religious, they've always been fairly open minded, and never really cared about who I dated or what we did or what their beliefs were or anything, so I don't think they would mind even if they were Christian.

• Not a big deal. I was raised Catholic but have zero belief now as does my s.o. Religion is often discussed in my house and everyone is free to hold their own belief system as long as its not forced onto anyone else it really isn't an issue

• Yeah I had to have this conversation with them actually. They asked if he was Christian and I just said "I don't think he's particularly religious." And my mom was like "...then why are you dating him?" or something xD I think I just tried to change the subject after that.

• My parents are atheists. My father is a MILITANT atheist! My mother believes only in feyfolke. And they both know I'm a devout Christian, so ^_- I don't think there's ever a time I'll ever have problems with the religion of the person I'm dating, lol

• They wouldn't care dad Is atheist

• They know i am an atheist, so it won't come off as a surprise to them if i am with an atheist. They would only be disappointed probably.

• They wouldn't disown me.

• parents would question what his religion is (if have one) but respect if he's an atheist. Would just ask normal questions like 'what does he do for holidays, christmas/ easter?"

• I dont date a guy who an atheist they may be dangerous

• I don't see the problem with being an atheist/dating one. :)

What Guys Said 6

• My parents wouldn't care. They consider themselves Christians, but haven't stepped inside a church in years. So their faith, isn't really a factor.

• I don't even think my dad knows what an Atheist is although he definitely is one himself.
    Religion isn't that big of a deal over here.

I could bring home anyone, they would only be slightly concerned if they would notice that the girl is very devout, because they know I most definitely am not.

• Me: mom? Dad? I'm dating someone just like myself.
    Them: okay son

There it is! Haha

• You could just not bring it up. Unless they ask it's none of their business

• And if they do ask it makes it even simpler. You just answer

• Depends which part of the world are you in. Where I'm living no one cares really no ones super religious

• I'm not really sure a religious person would be willing to date an atheist in the first place. I'm an atheist and I always make it clear that I would never force my atheism on a potential partner, but still the women are unwilling to date me unless I agree to follow their faith. And atheist women are pretty much non-existent around here. Ridiculous, but I just gotta live with it, and 'hope' that someday I may come across an atheist woman, or at least a woman who wouldn't try to force her religion on me.

• The reason they probably don't want to be with you is because of issues like raising children in the faith and maybe to some of them their faith is so important that they want to be able to share it with their S.O.

• yeah, you make a pretty valid point. But still, it doesn't change the outcome. I wasn't born an atheist, and I have valid reason for changing to an atheist (which are as valid, or even more so, than their reasons for being religious). In any case, when I don't intend to force my atheism on them and even make it clear that i won't come in the way of their religious behaves, it would be really unfair for me if they actually expect me to adopt their faith. I agree about the kids part, but it can pretty much be worked out amicably.