Why do the majority of people on online dating sites not know how to keep up a conversation?

I'm on an online dating site simply for the fun of it. I am pretty good at holding a conversation, I mean its really not that hard.

But for some reason in the conversations I have had, I'm always the one elaborating and asking questions, making conversations interesting, while it seems like most others that I've talked with don't even try, even the ones that started the conversation.

What is up with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I always wonder how people don't feel somewhat embarrassed/insecure when they don't elaborate or reply with one word answers, I always feel the need to expand and keep conversation going.

Perhaps the ones you have met online are the ones who turned internet dating because up till now their lack of communication/people skills has warranted them unable to form a relationship in 'real life'.

What Girls Said 4

• People lose interest. This is usually what happens. The conversations might get boring too and lacks some originality. I get annoyed when people ask me the same stuff all the time, especially on the internet. I don't mind if it's coming from a friend but like on the internet I don't have time to answer people's "how you? and "what's up" question. Some people like interesting and thoughtful stuff. But in general I'd say the problem is just that these people don't have any interest in you and would therefor rather spend their time talking to someone else, especially if it's on a dating site. On dating sites people spend more time actively on the individuals they are romantically interested in.

• A girl did this to me on POF.. I should of known by her age (24) I'm 5 years older then her and I felt like I had to do all the talking and she hardly had any questions for me.. a good test to see if she was interested was to give her my phone number.. she did not call and that was the last messages I got from her on POF.. I don't think she was serious going on a date anyways given by her first date message.

• She was clearly just not interested. That's the sucky thing with dating sites. You must have thick skin to be able to handle the rejection. I've tried dating sites and eventually stopped too. It's a cold place.

• A lot of selfish men want woman who are quiet - since they won't disturb them - so many pretty girls go on dates with guys and don't speak at all - thinking that the quite demeanour makes them more attractive.

• Because we dont know you well enough. We dont want to over share>.<

• I'm not asking personal information lol is it too much to have a casual conversation? I mean why would you be on that kind of site if you weren't willing to get to know people?

• They're socially awkward

What Guys Said 5

• -> lack of interest
    -> they're talking to 5 other people
    -> they're not that bright.

• If they had game bro, the chicks would be in the club looking for someone to spread for not on the web looking for nerds!

• Whoever is interested, talks more.

• It's not something that humans teach so it's not something that humans learn. Conversation is an art and all arts require some study and effort to be moderately competent at.

• It's not just on dating sites. I've noticed tons of people offline can't hold a conversation with a stranger or acquaintance to save their life.