Dating differences; how far are you willing to go?

What things would you like to have in common with your partner, what differences could you accept?

Example: Say you're a sporty, able-bodied, fit kind of person and your job is in that field; could you see yourself dating someone who wasn't so sporty, or even perhaps physically disabled in some way, but is still rather fit, or would you consider that your lives could be too different?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't really mind cultural, religious, or lifestyle differences too much. I usually tend to find common ground with most people anyway, what I really look for in a girl is how well she clicks with me.

I don't like girls who are into drugs, smoking, hanging out with shady types, illegal activities, etc.

• Also maturity difference is a key thing for me. If she acts like she's still in high school then thats a complete turn off.

What Guys Said 7

• If we agree to disagree on things like religion, that is workable. As long as her religion agrees with mine about treating people well. Politics? That could go bad. A lot of politics is involved with huge profit at the expense of poorer people. Since the US economic recovery, jobs gained back have been at minimal pay, not what they were before. And the money coming back is going to the top and not working its way down. I can't agree with that. Fitness? I prefer that we both be fit, but it does not have to be perfect. But I do love hiking, and with an SO that does not like that, either I give it up or go alone. Not a good choice. Does not kill the relationship, but need some more pluses to make up for it.

No to smoking. No to drugs.

• Until something hit the "I am not into you anymore" vibe.

More often than not, I'm not sure what those are until you hit one.

• I suppose it simply comes down to how much you like or love each other in some cases opposites attract and balance each other out while in other cases opposites repel each other and make things worse.

• As long as we made each other happy it wouldn't matter much too me

• It depends on what the difference was, I know that's a really general answer but I would need an example.

• But with the example you made, as long as I didn't have to care for her like a nanny I would.

• This question is too open-ended.

• I don't think so; i'm asking if you could date someone with a different lifestyle, or perhaps a different religion etc. Everyone has at least one make or break

• Do I compromise? No. Are my standards lower because "hot" is the minimum bar for entry? Yes.

What Girls Said 3

• haha your example is my boyfriend exactly! he is into the fitness/getting healthy/exercising stuff and i'm like "dude, i'm going to lay here on this couch, eat this chocolate, and watch you do this stuff." he has this dream that we're going to be "swole mates" (apparently the term for soul mates that exercise together) some day. i can't remember the last time i went faster than walk... or tried to lift something or eat healthy. its not that i'm obese or disabled, i'm just definitely not interested in moving my butt haha.

anyways onto your question, i could accept most differences between us, as long as they weren't major- like he does drugs or isn't religious or serious about relationships.

as far as stuff in common goes, my boyfriend and i really have nothing in common thats physical (interests/hobbies/activity wise) so i feel like i could go with anything and like it- unless it was really strange and he had weird fetishes. lol

• In common: likes to work out and stay healthy, not a drug user/smoker.
    As far as differences, I'd accept most things as long as they weren't major.

• My online boyfriend is pretty much like the opposite of me, but he got an amazing personality :) He also likes some of the music I listen to, so it's fine by me =)