Dating smaller guys (height) why are women put off?

I'm five foot 8, which isn't overly tall for a woman however I wouldn't date a guy who is smaller than me. My friends have the same opinion and I have found most other girls do. What is the reason behind it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Couple of reasons my female friends have told me:

In no particular order:
    Taller generally (not always, but it is generalized by women) means stronger
    Taller mate gives better chance of taller children

• Taller doesn't mean stronger if you're as skinny as a twig. Stonger=more intimidating=protective.

• They can also have kids shorter than them. Seen a few like that.

• yes. "Better Chance" not a guarantee, but it does give them better odds of having taller children.

What Guys Said 8

• Security. Tall guys from an evolutionary perspective seem like they are better able to protect you than small guys, on first blush, tall guys make you feel safe.

• At the risk of giving an answer that practically no one will like: almost all women prefer taller men because those women are neurotic little shits who are afraid of anything and everything and therefore require the vigilance of a gigantic babysitter.

Sorry, but that's what it looks like to me.

• Neurotic little shits is certainly different. I take it your 5ft 5 or under? ;)

• Most men would not say, "I would never date a woman who doesn't have big jiggly breasts", so it's not a fair comparison.

• Lol. Honest answer

• Most likely the cultural imperative that a "guy must be taller than the girl", and girls feeling insecure if this "rule" is broken.

• it has a lot to do with family upbringing, your used to tall people from your family so you look for that trait in a potential partner.

• Because women are shhhhallllow they want men to accept their body shape as they are (even though they can lose weight) but hey men have to be tall.. even though they can do jack all about their height !

• Oohhh you saying I could lose a few pounds then ;)

• But hey I earn 200k a year.. so I'm ok.

• Wow you are ridiculous. Have you never heard of man heels?

• Shorter men are perceived as weak and unmanly.

You want to feel like the Woman in the relationship. Being taller than him kind of takes away from that.

Is that fair to short men? No. But whoever said life was fair?

• I wouldn't date anyone who asserts their "womanliness" through their relationship and their partner rather than their own self and congruence with their biological sex.

• Short answer: Tall guys are hot.
    Long answer: Its a remnant from the times when tall men were relied upon to protect females and gather food. Now women feel most protected with tall guys, even if they don't know it.

• I heard it was some evolutionary thing, where the tallest male could best see any potential threats. Sounds stupid because 4 inches wouldn't provide a vastly superior vantage point but eh lol.

I think a taller male reflects dominance.

What Girls Said 11

• Idk, makes me feel less feminine I guess. But Im 5'8" so, I naturally gravitate towards the 5'10"s and up. I guess it goes back to childhood, my tall dad made me feel like the apple of his eye and protected and all that good stuff. Besides it was always great to have such a giant guardian angel >:) All the men in my dad's side including my dad are tall so I would like them to fit in and feel less intimidated being around a whole bunch of trees. Lol!
    Besides, it would be ego crushing if a guy found me less feminine because of my height :( No, just, no.

• It's the security factor. It makes women think that the guy will protect her and her possible future family. I'm 5'1" and I love guys who are 6'... But that's just my preference. Some girls don't mind shorter guys. It's a natural instinct. Guys try to find girls with sizable breasts and hips, girls try to find guys with good height and security.

• Well I'm five ten and I've dated a guy named trey that was five foot six. I've actually only dated someone taller than me once, most have been the same height if not like an inch shorter depending what shoes i wear. Lol. I think the main reason girls want to date someone taller/ bigger than them is so they feel more dainty and feminine, not because they have a problem with the guy himself.

• I'm 5'6" and I'm not super tall or anything. I just think height is very attractive and masculine. My ex is 6'6", exactly a foot taller than me lol

• I wouldn't either, because he would have to be shorter than 5'1. I will date 5'6

• You want some one stronger than you. Height is a sign of masculinity.

• Probably because I'm 5 foot milch and weight 98 lbs. if I dated a guy my size he'd almost be a midget. I just appreciate a guy a but taller than me. It's my preference. I see no crime in that

• i am the same height as you and its because taller guys make women feel safe.but if the right guy was just a little shorter it wouldn't bother me

• If the guy has a nice face and otherwise nice body it wouldn't bother me.

• Height and muscles are just sexy. That doesn't mean a shorter or less muscular guy can't be sexy (johnny depp?), but that those two things are innate turn ons for most females.

• well im 6'5'' so i dont have too much choice in the matter lol :P
    but i dont mind dating shorter guys, height isn't really that important to me...

why other girls probably like dating tall guys:
    makes the feel protected
    make them feel more petite

• That's pretty tall! I never thought of it like that. Would u say guys intimidated by your height?

• Wow!! Girl you are tall as hell. Nice :)

• thanks :D