Could you stay friends with a person you are smitten with, even though they are taken?

title kinda says it all, curious to opinions on the matter

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• Yes it's possible. I have done so. The guy broke up with his girlfriend 2 weeks later and started going out with me.

• Depends on if she's got dreads, or not.

• Yes, absolutely. If I had no other option I'd take a friendship. :-)

• Yes, I have done so in the past.. Don't get me wrong, I feel jealous and I'm never exactly over the moon about the situation, but I can't exactly force him to like me instead.

Sometimes it's just better to sit back and wait or move on

• Absolutely not.
    Not until I have someone I am interested in and dating.

• i could do that yes and things would probably get complicated

• Nope, I might kill them.

• Yeah I don't see why not, its like I know I can't be with him but still ain't worth losing a friendship.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes. I did it way back in high school. I had a huge crush on my friend and she had a crush on me back but wouldn't leave her douche-bag boyfriend. So we were just friends and I moved my attention to other girls. See, you can be friends if you want to be but either way you have to move on. FYI, this girl I was friends with later dumped her boyfriend after he got another girl pregnant. She just did it a couple years too late for me because I was no longer interested.

• You'd want to stay friends of course. But would you ever be satisfied with just that?

• that's what i was pondering, i mean, granted you would be happy that they were...but seems like it comes at a price

• Yes. Also, catbug! ^_^ I love you!

• Of course! I'm mature enough to be happy that they found someone that makes them happy even if that person isn't me. I'm not a child.

• Not sure maturity ventures into emotions brought on by doing something like that, you wouldn't feel bad even the slightest?

• Of course it would feel bad but I'd realize that there are billions of women on this planet. I'd wish them the best in their relationship and move on to the next adventure.

• Yes. It's not a problem at all.

• Yeah sure, just got put those other feelings aside and focus on being a friend.