Are abs on a guy really THAT important?

Im thinking of starting working out again (havent for a yearish) but Im not going to go for abs because that takes more work than I care to do. More just overall size and arms/chest

Are 6 pack abs that important? Like if a guy is fit but doesn't have abs is his body not as attractive as one that does?

K so seems like sixpack or nothing
Time better spent elsewhere then

Most Helpful Girl

• It is an it isn't, it shows strength and dedication. Both of which are traits women want. But if you are overall strong it won't matter. I live in a military town, seals included. Met many, most don't have the super chiseled abs. Most have only light definition if any, they have big chests, arms, legs and back, plus they can run a 10k like it's nothing. Muscle shouldn't sacrifice movement or speed. There is also show muscle, guys who get really really big and can lift heavy things, but only once. Say a guy can bench 500... But only 1... Then my bf can bench 350-400 multiple times. Which would you rather be?

What Girls Said 19

• 6 packs aren't everything...I mean, I quite like them, but that's just me. I have some nice abdominal definition if I do say so myself so I'm one of those girls with "standards" on my man's torso. Yeah yeah, hate me for it. :P

If there're two guys who are the same in looks and one has abs and the other doesn't, the one with abs is hotter.

• personally i dont really care for them nor am i really impressed by them. some toned arms/shoulders/back are what i like. if its something you really want then i say go for it and do it for yourself. if you're just wanting them because you think theyll be attractive to women then i would say dont bother, theyre not necessary by any means.

• You don't NEED a six pack...

but also, don't be one of those guys with tree legs and arms...

Sporting a Keg

• Nope it's not important at all actually. Well for me it isn't :)

• They're not all that important to me, but a firm-ish abdomen is nice. I don't want to feel like I'm sinking into a memory-foam mattress, when I place my hand on your tummy.

• I feel like I'm one of those RARE girls that actually hates/dosent like abs...

i prefer guys with good arms and chest over abs ANY DAY..
    i feel like abs is for preteen boys like justin bieber (oh wait he's like 20 now right?) #stilllookslikeagirlthough

example: like this (body wise) is hott

www.runningoffthereeses.com/.../...raig-water3.gif

• no its not as important as you think it is

• No they are not that important. In fact I prefer a little more meat on a guy. Men seem think that all women want a man with a six pack and that just isn't true

• abs are not important and can even be kind of gross/intimidating if they're too much.

• NO, a six pack is not important, just be in relatively good shape

• No. Physically:
    Nice/cute face
    Broad shoulders
    Good hygiene
    Nice butt is a plus

• Slight definition is better than too much.

• You commented on MY answer telling me I'm wrong, but I'M an opinion nazi? Okay hun lol. Anyways...

• If you check again, I never said you were wrong. I just said you weren't right. You made it sound like it was a fact that all men think that girl's boobs/butts is = men's abs.
      But whatever, this is something idle/stupid to argue about since I (wrongly) assumed you were competent enough to capture that the first time.

• No they are just an added bonus

• you dont NEED a sixpack

• I think just being healthy is the key :)

• i looooooooovvvvvvvvvveeeeee abs on a guy it's so hot !

• About as important as a nice butt or boobs on a girl (to guys).

• Ok, but I'm entitled to give mine without you being an opinion nazi. I just thought it sounded as a matter-of-fact so I took it upon myself to NICELY remind you it's not necessarily an accurate comparison for everyone else but for you it is. Apparently, you can't respond to a fellow opinion without being a royal bitch about it. Grow up.

• no they are not important. If your profile pic is really you then you are an attractive guy. As long as you are in reasonable shape you will be just fine

• I agree with cavmanier. If you want to get a hotter girl, u gotta work on abs. At least it shows that you're strong and healthy. Same applies on girls, if we want to date a hot guy, we gotta be hot first. Nothing is free. U got to work for it. Btw, I used to be a cheerleader back in college.

• No. The guy I've been seeing didn't believe me when I said I didn't like abs but it's true.

What Guys Said 9

• Mine get a lot of compliments, so I think they are definitely helpful for attracting girls, but there are definitely more important things (and most of them aren't physical). If a girl really likes you, she won't mind if you don't have them, and some might even prefer it that way because it's more comfortable to cuddle with.

• I notice more girls liking bigger shoulders but it may just be the girls I meet. Only a few girls seem to have the obsession with abs.

• once you look good in the face and you aren't obese you should be fine. the only girls i honestly see look too much into abs are the ones who ironically can't take care of their own bodies.

• My GUESS would be that slimmer girls would more likely be into them than thicker girls generally. That's just from noticing how a lot of couples seem to have similar body types.

I doubt many like the abs on fitness magazines but a lot I would think like toned abs. I'm not sure if you meant 4% bf abs.

• You made the question confusing. First you asked if they like, "abs." Then you said, "6 pack abs" at the very end and then, "abs" yet again. I really doubt these girls are interpreting this as fitness model abs.

• In their mind they are comparing toned with a spare tire I bet.

• Haha, no. Numerous girls don't even like abs, because they're uncomfortable to lay on.

• I go to the gym, but I don't workout abs, and I still have ok definition there.

I don't think direct ab work is necessary, if you do some cardio, as well as compound lifts (squats and deadlifts) then you will pack on a bit of ab muscle.

• they are added attraction but the centre is something you need to focus

• It's not about abs it's about being at your best; abs just often come with that.

• Not true, many great athletes dont have sixpack abs. Abs aren't even intended by nature to stick out like that

• Yeah but scroll up to the chick who lives in a military town where the guys are super fit but barely have ab definition. Abs are not supposed to be that visible, that's all media and hollywood

• That is correct. Well, for the most part. Ab definition goes two ways when it comes to bodybuilding since you can build for aesthetics (to show) and for sport (those fat dudes who can lift 600 pounds) so it's a matter of the branch you take. Those dudes are actually building for stength, not aesthetics, but this is overcomplicating the simple headnod I totally should have given. Let me fix it:

"I AGREE!" <-- Because I do.

• I heard girls say it's not the main factor for attraction but it's a bonus, lot of girls say that here