Why does height matter to women?

Why do most women place such an emphasis on height? Is it due to insecurity, or low self-esteem? The need to fulfill an image? I'm not short, but I've always been very curious. It seems so trivial. I thought maybe they feel more protected, but being over 6' doesn't magically make someone bullet proof haha

• He HAS to be taller!
  • At least my height.
  • Don't care.

Most Helpful Girl

• i like a guy to be at least my height, because height to a certain degree represents masculinity in a way; and I dont even mean height in general, i only mean height in comparison to me. a guy who is 5'5 is perfectly fine, but Im a bit taller than that so i feel more comfortable with someone taller, even if it is just by a tad. my bf is only 2 inches taller than me and that is perfectly fine. when i first started dating my ex we were the exact same height, so its not a huge deal, it just has to deal with the "feeling of masculinity and the belief that if he's taller he can better protect you if needed be". Its also that way with how strong he is too, its a masculinity and protection thing.

What Girls Said 15

• For the same reasons guys prefer girls who are slightly shorter than them? A lot of guys would be uncomfortable with dating a girl who's taller than them, because they'd feel less "manly".
    It's just a physical preference. It's no different from guys preferring big boobs or a nice ass. Those are also physical traits that we barely (if at all) have any control over.

• Hmm, excellent point.

• Um no I don't have a height preference lol all that matters is that she's naturally beautiful and proportioned (I use this term loosely).

• Why does Height Matter to Women?
    Likely physical/sexual attraction. For many gals a taller guy looks better or they associate emotional coronations to the trait. No different than how age, body shape, etc seemingly matter to most guys.

Is it due to insecurity, or low self-esteem? The need to fulfill an image?
    I doubt it I find gals that place importance on height or find tall guys attractive generally due so out of physical/sexual attraction. It's quite a rarity I find a gal that height matters to her because of insecurity, low self-esteem, or need to fulfill an image.

I find such 'reasoning' that it's because of the reasons you listed is usually by males who don't like that height can have them dismissed. Such as how I find most guys that place importance on age or find younger gals hot is because youth is attractive to them not because they are insecure guys with low self-esteem who need to fulfill an image (which tends to be the 'reasoning' of what I see as butthurt gals)

A. He HAS to be taller!
    I'm 5'6'' so a guy my height would be below average height in my country and I'm not interested in short guys.

• I honestly don't care. I definitely am most physically attracted to very tall guys (I nearly passed out with infatuation when I met a 6'5 guy) and I can't help that. However I have also been attracted to guys who are shorter than me and I'm 5'4. Height is anything but a deal-breaker for me and I don't care if the guy is shorter, not like you can control your height anyway.

• i really dont care as long as he's my height or taller. but seriously, imma b real. even if he isn't, and i totally admire who he is, ill go for him. i do like to feel shorter tho, I don't know it just makes me feel… protected haha. I don't know if I'm makin sense but yeh. its not something huge for me, just a matter of preference.

• I am 5ft 2 and my bf is 6ft 3. I love the fact that he is so much taller than me. But...sometimes it gets aggravating. Like when I hug him, I feel like a little girl hugging her father. And during sex...our faces never meet.

• Height doesn't matter with me at all. Actully i prefer a shorter guy for 69 sex.

• I've dated guys shorter than me, a little taller and the current guy I'm seeing is 6'2, I don't like him because of his height, but because of the person he is, some people may have their own reasons but height bother me, the actual person does.

• I DEFINITELY do not want a boy smaller than I am, but at the same time I don't want a skyscraper. I would like a boy that is my height or like 3 inches taller.

• I'm 5ft10 (I'm Dutch, this height is slightly above average), which makes it difficult finding a man who is a head taller than me. My ex has been 5ft3, but I've always felt uncomfortable in public when walking with him.

The man being taller is simply giving women the feeling that he can protect her. Tall women are easily seen as more masculine, small women als feminine. That's why most women want their partner to be taller.

• Why'd you feel uncomfortable?

• I felt uncomfortable for several reasons.
      One of them is because everyone was always looking at us. Might be because we differ in height and race (he was black, I'm white, you don't see it often in the region I'm from). But it also felt like I was the older, more mature one - like I was walking with a child or that I was the boyfriend, and not he. That's why I told you being smaller as a woman, makes us feel we are feminine. With him I felt masculine.

• tall guys just look better

really short guys don't look like theyre done developing

• For me I feel safer if guys are my height or taller.

• My guy has to be taller I don't want a bf who is shorter than me but I also don't want a bf who is above 6"5' otherwise he will be like a gigantic monster or something.

• I like guys to be taller than me because I'm a short ass anyway haha

• Taller guys= seen as manly. Also seen a protective man

• I like taller guys because when they hug you, you feel so safe... because their body encases yours. It's not a safe feeling of being safe from attackers. It's more of safe from the perils of the world feeling. Its also a bonus to be able to wear heels while walking with him.

What Guys Said 4

• I think this mostly goes back around to women looking for men who remind them of their fathers. Even the tallest of women has spent the majority of her developmental years looking up (literally) to the primary man in her life.

Beyond that instinctual "protected" feeling they get from being shorter, they also feel that others will perceive the pairing as "awkward" and judge her negatively for it. I've even heard women say that it's important because they want to be able to wear high heels without dwarfing the guy that she's with, as if he were some kind of fashion accessory that simply couldn't be paired with anything in her wardrobe.

• Why do big tits and a round ass matter to men?

The mysteries of life.

• I guess women just feel safer I mean what is going to make an attacker stop and think wether he should go up. Against a guy a short small guy or a big tall guy Its all psychological obvisouly the small guy looks easier.

• It's so nice to be a short man and not give a single care about this whole height issue business.

Women like tall men? Cool story bro - I have attracted some fine women in my time even though I'm somewhat of a mini-manlet. *giggles*

• I'm not bent out of shape about it, just genuinely curious. I've seen it often in social networks. But, hey, good on ya!

• It's just one of those things, man! It's like why do a lot of men reject overweight girls?

Preference is preference - if 99% of the female population find me repulsive because I'm short, fine, not a problem, I'll focus on the 1% that don't have an issue with my height.