What are your opinions on gay rights/marriage?

Been seeing a lot of controversy on this subject and i would like to know your honest opinions on the matter. Wether its that your for it or against it, i would like to hear your reasoning! Why are you for it and why are you against it? Dont be shy :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm for it. I'm normally into women but I have run across a few attractive men in my days. If gay couples were denied rights to marriage it wouldn't affect me to much but it just seems like a dumb fight. Why is it so important that two people of the same gender not get married. In fact whether or not people know it it's already happened. It's possible for an XY genetic man to be born with female genitalia. In a time before genetic testing these cases went undocumented and I'm sure some of these people got married. And guess what the world didn't explode. Marriage is a socially constructed institution and no one has any real reason to oppose such changes to this institution other than some backwards bull that they'll pull out of nowhere. The attitude towards gay relationships have changed over the century from indifference to acceptance to hate. It changes all the time and western societies just having it's cry baby moment because it's tired of all of this rapid changing that been occurring the past few centuries. Gay marriage is going to eventually be legalized and people will chill out and realize people of the same sex doing personal things with each other isn't that big of a deal.

What Guys Said 15

• They should have every right to be as miserable as heterosexual couples ;)

Honestly, government has no business in marriage at all

• Gay marriage is secular, as in it is a government establishment. Since there is a separation of church and state, religion can't deny gay marriage. Similarly, religious institutions shouldn't be forced to hold gay marriages if they don't want them, since they are separated from those secular laws.

So that's the reason I support gay marriage.

However, that doesn't mean I'm pro gay. I'm getting tired of this "gay pride" crap. Oh wow, you're gay? Do you a medal or something? Sexual orientation is nothing special, it shouldn't even matter. I have some bi friends and they don't go everywhere telling every living thing they're bi.

• My issue isn't with the sexual orientation of the person, but with marriage in general. It is just a weird concept to me, and I feel that people kind of just follow the crowd thinking it is what they "ought" to do in life, like a fake goal that doesn't really change anything.

If it had never been invented, two things would likely be true : 1. People wouldn't care so much about others sexual orientation 2. If someone tomorrow tried to popularize marriage, we would laugh in their face.

As for gay rights, it should just be called human rights. I don't see any real argument to categorize it on its own.

• Who's to say marriage is a right? but if we're claiming it is... then by definition, gay people have no less of a right then straight people. Legally, they have the same equality as a straight person to marry someone of the opposite gender.

There isn't a legal objection not allowing them to do so. I don't support gay marriage, i see marriage as a commitment between a man and a woman to raise a family. But gay couples do have civil unions, almost exactly the same, just without the label of marriage

• It should even be called gay marriage, it should just be called marriage and it's rights should be equal to all marriage. Equality towards all.

• More power to them. Why? Why not.

• Make marriage a purely legal thing issued by the state and grant everybody the same rights to it. Don't hand the church legal powers to abuse and discriminate with. Thought most of the secularized world would be over this by now, but no, secularization doesn't seem to extend to church taxation and marriage rights.

• It should be aloud there love for each other is real, they should be aloud to marry as any other loving couple can.

• I think they should definitely have equal rights and union. I just wish they wouldn't call it marriage since that's reserved for man an wife in my opinion

• I see no reason why two people should not be allowed to get married.

• for it.

why? is it hurting anyone or anything? nope. so who cares.

• Allow it so that way we don't have to have gay pride parades.

• As long as they don't parades around, and make such a great deal about it's tolerable for me

• Personal lives, let them do their thing. People need to stay out of other peoples business. Some many spend too much time worrying about what others are doing with their lives rather than just living their own.

Even if I DID have a gripe with it (I don't), it's STILL none of my business. I personally don't support getting an abortion, but I would never feel I have the right to tell somebody they can't have one. It's not my business, it's not my body, it's not my life. I am responsible for my behavior and the things that go on in my life, and that's it. I wouldn't want somebody telling me how to live my life, and I'm sure they don't either. Basic human respect says to let people do as they please so long as they aren't hurting people.

• So many*

• Amen to that! I didn't plan on commenting on any of these for the simple fact i dont want people to feel judged for their opinion but i wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

• Well thank you! Glad to know others feel the same.

• I think the entire notion of marriage is ridiculous (marriage is a state sanctioned contract).

That being said, if we allow gays to marry, we're basically saying that marriage is a contract between two consenting adults. By that logic, we should also let siblings marry if they're consenting adults, or a father marry his daughter, etc. Unless we want to deny all of them their happiness.

What Girls Said 7

• I tend to believe that government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. The government extends benefits to married couples but refuses to let some couples marry. It's awful.

• I think it's Okey, if they love each other, no problem! We are all humans for God sake!!

• I'm for it! I know a couple getting married because of it already and I say good for them and more like its about time!

• I support it, because we have no right to tell people who they should love.

• I don't see anything wrong with it,

• i could honestly careless who someone sleeps with or marries!! what business is it of mine anyways...as long as your not trying to do it to me, then i dont care...
    everyone should be allowed to be happy and love who they want to love!! :)

• I'm for it. No one has the right to deny someone the right to marry.