Would a girl date a guy with a less prestigious job than hers?

Is it common for women to date men with jobs of less pay and status than the ones they currently have?

I'm sort of intimidated by girls who have higher ranking jobs and make lots more than I do. When I'm chatting with a girl and find out about her career, I get psyched out and assume she won't be interested in dating a guy like me. And then my game falls apart, unless she lets me know otherwise.

If it makes any difference, I'm in a job that I'm overqualified for. I have the education for something bigger and better. But I'm still struggling to find work and get recognized.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the woman.

If the woman wants a kid, chances are she's heavily gonna want to be a SAHM meaning, your income will need to be source. The problem is if she's used to living off of 50k and you've been making 40k. Chances are she's already used to living a 50k lifestyle meaning she might not be happy having a kid on a 40k income when she's already used to living off of 50k alone. It becomes a lifestyle issue.

The other issue I've seen girls mention is they always want a guy who is "better than them" and with the common misconception of success=income. Their opinion always gets mixed. A guy can have a profession he loves very much but only earn 30k off of it and even though he's able to make it happen and live on his own, people will still judge a 30k income as "unsuccessful" and give bullshit lectures about how he has to "be a better person" and all this garbage condescending BS (which ironically will come out of people's mouths who live at home with their mom still in their basement).

There are still plenty of women who have one simple requirement and that is living on your own. These women who are really strict on this most likely got fed up dating a person who lives with their parents. I can relate to the torture as well since I dated a girl who lived with her parents. It becomes a problem especially if the parents are strict. You can't spend time at their place because their parents are there and you don't want the partner living at your place as well. I honestly feel more guys need to be especially careful about this because there's many girls who try to sneak into a guy's place by slowly "leaving things behind." I know a guy going through it right now and he got an implied call out from someone pointing out that he's letter her stay for the sex.

What Girls Said 7

• I would be perfectly fine with it. I mean as long as your trying your hardest at your job. I know plenty of couples like that. And at least you have a job. And you (probably ) aren't getting drunk and high everynight

• I would if it was his passion/hobby/business...like handyman work, painting, giving lessons for a fine art, etc. but not if it was a job he did because he couldn't get a job anywhere else.

• I would rather date a guy like that because they are more down to earth and aren't show offs like guys who make the big bucks and flash it around.

• I would and I do now. It's not a problem for is

• As long as he has ambition, confidence and the desire to further himself then no it wouldn't bother me one bit.

• To me the guys job don't matter if I like him i will date them if they like me

• A girl generally doesn't care as long as you can support yourself.

What Guys Said 5

• This is acceptable for two reasons only: You're looking for something better (any educated woman will be well aware of how shitty the job market is), or you're doing something that you love and it makes you happy. There's no shame in either, get over it dude. Any woman who writes you off isn't worth your time.

• Women are so disingenuous on questions like this it is a waste of time even asking.

search your soul, you know the answer.

• Don't mix work and women.

• i hope so, i hope

• love some of the answers so far