Is this guy's behavior/treatment of me normal?

I met a guy on a dating site. I rarely ever answered anybody's messages because I wasn't really attracted to many of the guys that hit on me (many of them were 50 year olds (I'm only 18) and many of them were just plain creepy). Then I got a message from this guy, and I actually answered. We were a 90% match. He's 22. We talked lots and got on really well. We have similar interests and he seemed to be looking for the same things that I'm looking for.
He asked me on a date, and then picked me up. I was even more attracted to him in real life than I was online. On that first date, he gave me LOTS of gifts such as necklaces and other things. We went to a movie and ended up cuddling. Everything felt really good. He pays for me for everything and holds the car door open for me, etc. I'm not used to a guy treating me so well. When I got home, he actually asked me to be his girlfriend. It might be crazy but I said yes. Soon after our first couple dates, I noticed he deleted his dating profile without me even asking, and I did the same.
Now we talk almost everyday and also see eachother every other day. Every time he picks me up, he just showers me with gifts. Everytime we're together and he stops at a gas station or other store, he always comes back out with something he bought for me. He even gave me pepper spray and a knife because he's worried about when I go out alone.
He misses me as soon as he drops me off and constantly texts me when were not with eachother. He compliments me tons. I can act, wear, and say whatever I want and he still likes me. After my past boyfriends who were so careless about me, I'm really not used to a guy treating me this well.
However, a couple things stick out to me that might not be "normal". For one, he mentioned once that if a guy ever hit on me in front of him, he would kick his a$$. He also says he doesn't have many friends because he has trouble trusting people. Do you think he could end up being controlling or clingy?

Most Helpful Guy

• None of what this guy did is normal.

What Guys Said 2

• Sure there's a lot of nice guys out there who treat women right...but this just seems weird. Almost like he's buying you things to keep you and wants no one to be involved except for him. I don't know him but that's just not normal and seems off. Ask yourself what would happen if you didn't respond to him for a day? What would happen if you broke up? I'd be careful. It just seems off.

• He needs to loosen up a bit. Sounds a bit over the top. He is for sure smothering you. Keep an eye out for now.

What Girls Said 1

• The fact that you can act, wear and say whatever is a good thing and a sign of a healthy relationship and him complimenting you a lot is no red flag, but surely there are some red flags in this situation. The knife and pepper spray thing is kind of odd and extreme. Him showering you with gifts constantly seems a bit over the top as well kind of like he's trying to compensate for something. Him saying he'd kick a guys ass if he tried hitting on you is something I've seen with guys who tend to be a bit over-protective. The fact that he has trust issues isn't good and I see him potentially being very clingy and controlling but I guess you'll have to decide if his other qualities make up for that.