Who determines what is right and wrong and how?

Who determines what is right and wrong? I think it is wrong to kill someone. I think it is wrong to have sex with the same sex. I think it is wrong to etc. If humans determine what is right and wrong, HOW? Do we determine it by if it hurts someone or not? In my opinion it seems that right and wrong are determine by what the majority of people thinks or the people in power that are put there by the majority of the people. And if the majority of people or the people in power think that something is right or wrong, then it is considered right or wrong. To me that means right and wrong are determine by peoples perception. But what if the perception is wrong. I've seen people that broke laws get away free because the jury's perception was twisted by a better attorney then the attorney for the so called right side. I've heard this said that justice is determined by the side that wins in the courtroom. To me that means that justice doesn't always occur. So who determines what is right or wrong? Is homosexuality right or wrong? Is lying right or wrong? Is ________ right or wrong? Who determines what is right and wrong and how?

Most Helpful Guy

• i believe what i am doing is right and others as wrong..

What Girls Said 2

• A very good and complicated question.
    I think it is wrong to kill another person and to cause any harm purposefully to another creature (aside from hunting, scolding within reason)
    And I think its wrong to judge people for things that have no effect on your life. Live and let live, peace and love, no judgements.

• Thanks for the reply.

• Well I think that people determine for themselves what is right and wrong. For example I'm a Christian and I go by what the bible says is right and wrong. It's based on people's morals.

• I think that God determines what is right and wrong. And we learn what He thinks through the bible. The morals of people can be relative unless based upon what God thinks.

What Guys Said 4

• There's no universal right and wrong so the answer to your question is nobody has the authority to do so. You can get pretty close to consensus though, like no killing other than if necessary in self defense etc. In general I'd say you're on the right track if you just abide to the principle of harm; the only thing that places actions in the category of "wrong" is if it harms others. Homosexuality for example does not.

In the end you'll have to define your own system of values and put them under scrutiny. If you find some horrible inconsistencies it might be time to re-think and re-work parts of it.

• This is a complex subject, but the basics to me are if it harms someone physically or mentally it's wrong, unless there is a reasonable justification (your life in in danger, and you defend yourself).

Another is if it doesn't benefit a future of the society or increase the quality of life, then it might be wrong.

That's at first thought, maybe if I examined those more deeply they would be flawed.

• It almost seems like right and wrong are relative, except as far harming someone.

• Right and wrong is subjective until there's a winner. Once there's a winner then their word is law. Might makes right.

• Popular opinion.