What does "official" mean to guys?

I met this guy over a year ago. We went out a couple of times and did sleep together on one occasion, but he said he wasn't over his ex and didn't want to lead me on. We stayed in touch and hung out a couple times, including one time where he came to pick me up from the bar, without hitting on me or anything like that, because he didn't want me to drive home drunk. A couple months ago we started talking more frequently and he asked if I wanted to hang out again. He took me out to a nice dinner and a walk around the lake. We live about an hour apart now since I had to move home for a little bit. We see each other every weekend and a couple times during the week. We did sleep together on our third date. After that he asked if I wanted to "make it official " and I said yes without even thinking about it. Now I'm wondering What being official means to men?

Most Helpful Guy

• "Official" means that you would then identify yourselves as a couple; you are his girlfriend and he is your boyfriend.

What Guys Said 3

• official as in most likely entering the relationship status. bf/gf

• Official is you are bf/gf and not allowed to date/see/screw/make out/etc with any other guy. Having sex is pretty official to me. I don't do friends with benefits or one-nighters so if we had sex, we are official in my mind.

• official means you are committed to a relationship (probably monogamous) with someone. you're officially his gf

What Girls Said 1

• Officially committed to dating/having relations with only each other. Essentially it's the next step past 'dating', you are now boyfriend and girlfriend. He won't be pursuing/sleeping with other women and expects the same from you with regards to other men.