Do you want someone that is serious and takes almost everything you say personally and literally?

I had to turn down this nice girl who had the best intentions in the world because I noticed I couldn't make dry jokes or be facetious at all around her without her taking it personally and/or literally. THe jokes weren't even AT her. I'm not a total jokester 100% of the time, however I view myself as a mixed bag.

The serious side of me was very appealing to her, apparently. This silly side? Not so much.

I didn't even realize this was a dealbreaker up until that moment, when I walked away from someone with seemingly all the right pieces simply because of her temperament.

While she wasn't the right fit for me, I can't help but think that she IS the right fit for a particular guy, and I imagine he wouldn't be the kind of guy to have a beer with.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• She sounds like a very pleasant and nice young woman who would make any number of decent young men with asperger's a perfect partner.

I don't mean that in a disparaging or mean way. Dead serious. Some of them are quite happy to go for a beer too, they just don't joke around much.

• That brings peace to mind, because guys with aspergers generally aren't all that bad. The alternative would be a bloodthirsty psychopath. At least, I like to think so.

• Oh by the way, I never asked her but she does APPEAR to have been raised in a strict religious home (maybe Hindu/Muslim roots) so the kind of man that served as her model is probably super strict, religious, and no-nonsensical. You think that's it?

• Could be a factor.

It could also be that she has a similar personality to her parents.

What Girls Said 13

• Oh my... I'm silly -most- of the time... Facetious, sarcastic and childish too at times. I should not be taken literally. I couldn't be with someone who takes everything literally. I think everything would turn into a "no offense" situation.

• Are you literally facetious, sarcastic, and childish at times? OR IS THIS JUST ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR JOKES?

• Hey, I have a penis.

And you will too... Until 10 minutes later.

• Oh. Really? Hmmm. Guess I was feeling lenient this time :p
      FINE THEN! :D

• Fuck no, I would go mad around such a person.

My man has the driest sense of humour and I bloody love it.

• No way! I joke about everything and being around someone who could be constantly offended would be a turn off.

• No that would be a MAJOR issue for me lol Like me and my bf make jokes and stuff even directed AT each other and we dont even like spending time with people like that cause they would just get really offended and be annoying lol

• Nope. That's a turn off. It's hard to be myself around someone like that.

• Hell no. I'm working on that myself, I don't need two over sensitive crybabies under one roof.

• I want someone who can be serious at the serious moments, but who can understand and laugh at a joke. I'm like you I make jokes all the time and I would think that people would laugh. They need to have a sense of humor lol

• no because i am in this way.

• Do you mind explaining a bit further? I sense you may have a different perspective.

• İf people take everything seriously we cannot negotiate them.

• No because i am a very sarcastic person

• That would be no fun

• Of course not.
    I want to spend my life laughing.
    I'd be so bored with someone that couldn't see the humor in life.

• Hey well you knew what you were getting yourself into...If she is still silly etc. well that's good it sounds like she is a lady doesn't sound trashy at all like a lot of females.

That's a shame you let her go.

What Guys Said 15

• It's funny, I talk about serious stuff a lot, and my voice is monotone, so people can't seem to figure out that like 50% of the time I'm messing with them. I mean, I really do it a lot. I even do it here on GAG.

I don't blame you for breaking things off with her; it's no fun when people can't get jokes.

• Yes, that method of delivery makes life so rich wherever there is human interaction.

• Lol. Yeah I can't really help it, it's just how my voice sounds.

Strangely, in college I always like professors with monotone voices. I found them easier to listen to. Really animated professors were harder to follow.

• Lol absolutely not.. I take most things not very seriously lol so having someone who is quite the opposite of that wouldn't work out. I wouldn't be able to be myself around her.

• No, i hate when people who take things personally. And I'm pretty literal and want someone to be opposite and more abstract.

• If someone took the things I said seriously then I'd be accused of witchcraft and tossed into bag with a cat to be thrown into the Thames within a day.

• Sometimes i have a tough time understanding sarcasm because there's no hint of it in the persons voice.

• Understandable. Some people can be very dry. You kind of have to KNOW the person, which, come to think of it, could be the reason why... eh, water under the bridge.

• That's what happens to me Averageusername.

I can deliver my sarcasm so deadpan, and I'm so willing to keep seeing how far I can go with it, that people often don't understand what's going on.

• I Feel may be you are repeating the same jokes and she now started to solve them

• We hardly know anything about eachother and she literally hasn't heard me speak enough to have heard the same thing twice. Though, I do understand where you're coming from.

• I felt most of the cases such attitude depends on the individual and his view towards life..many are more serious about their life and they could'nt differentiate a p*rn from pool..

• No I do not, I joke around a lot so it wouldn't work out too good.

• Yeah she sounds like a stick in the mud,

• Nobody wants that, lol... She will figure that out herself soon enough

• Cereal people are the worst

• I could never be with someone who always looked at life with a serious face and had a drab sense of humour.

I believe there is a right time to be serious and a right time to be a bit silly, a bit quirky, life shouldn't be one over the other. People need a perfect blend of the two.

• Nah, just like I wouldn't want to be with someone who takes everything as a joke. There is a right time for both

• Yeah no thats too much for me. If I can't joke around at all then I wouldn't be with them.

• What a pointless question.

• It's something I couldn't deal with. But in my case, it's because my mother is like that - she has never understood sarcasm, or ludicrous-extremes-for-humour.

• That's a much more eloquent way to describe hyperbole. Stolen.

• No need to steal, freely given.